Thoughts on diversity

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Pollowick, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Having a think about power consumption in a small DIY workshop/shed.

Looking at the installation there are numerous power tools - router/spindle moulder, planer, sander, table saw, band saw, mitre saw, grinder, extractor, power drill and a few other. The ratings of these vary from 200w up to about 1500w. The total power if ALL were in use, at full power and full load would be around 10kw.

It is only large enough for 2 people to work in and obviously not every tool would be in use at any one time.

How would you calculate or estimate the load allowing for diversity in this case? Is is reasonable to take one high power device, two medium power and one low power plus lighting and an extractor?

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

If you can only get 2 people I would go for 2x1500w + light + extraction +?heat?

If it is DIY then it's unlikely that the tools would be running at full load for any length of time, so the above would give excess should someone else happen to be there. Ignoring the possible heating load I would expect you would be on 20A circuit and distribute from there

FatHands likes this.
  3. Pollowick

Same sort of thinking that I had ... yours come in in at about 4kW. My method 4.85kW ...

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

My thoughts on Diversity,,, should never have won BGT. :p:p:p:p:p

RolandK and Joe95 like this.
  5. Pollowick

Any other comments or thoughts?

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

As a dance group they were a bit generic and if it wasn't for the afro'd shortarse they wouldn't have won.