Three lever lock jamming

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Mar 22, 2017.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all

I have been trying to work out why a bathroom lever latch is catching.

Not sure wether it is parts or not aligned correctly.

Lock works fine without outside rose on( the slotted type where you use a screwdriver to open

The trouble this outside rose when gets turned by users etc. Gets mis aligned is there any better parts or anyone else come across this. Any suggestuons would be great.

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Check your key, I bet one of the little nibs has come off.

3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks for reply wiggy it's thumbturn inside
    And like a kids lock outside.

Not sure what they are called if anyone can enlighten me. You use a screwdriver for kids or people locking themselves in.

Moves freely without this part on as soon as I clip it back on lock becomes stiff. So any movement as high use cam cause lock to become stiff

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

It's called a release lol

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Some of them are simply just poor quality unfortunately, had exactly the same scenario today, mortise lock, handles, thumbturn all fine when separate, however once I fixed the thumbturn and spindle through lock and door and tightened grub screw, tighter than a nuns chuff :(. Up to them to replace.

Happened several times in the past, always with cheapo £5 Victorian scrolls, I'd try replacing it with like for like and see if you've just had a bad one first......​

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For heaven's sake. Bigger clearance for part of handle that holds shaft(see where it is rubbing door).

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Today's trial example I referenced was in a prehung doorset, with holes already drilled from the manufacturer, with plenty of clearance in all areas. In my case at least, it was nothing to do with the hole.

tore81 likes this.
  8. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Yes Jordan Plenty of clearance with all holes drilled couldn't make sense of it.

I know maybe a silly post but I just thought I was missing something. But yes must be cheap ****. I'll replace with something better.

9. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

sometimes shortening the spindle for the lock will help a bit, cheap locks tend to be pretty rubbish for this though, other than that as has already been said make sure holes in the door are big enough and that the handles are on square and parallel to each other.

tore81 likes this.
  10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Are all of your posts going to start like this now, for heavens sake.

tore81 likes this.
  11. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thankyou RW

I haven't checked yet but that would make perfect sense! As I swapped with a working release from another door. And still sticking

when I looked inside the lock engaged button it did look a little worn. I tried everything else and was annoying me.

Feel a bit Silly really I didn't think of that. So I'm pretty confident it is. I've had that happen on a key pad lock some years ago.

So many different jobs etc you do over the years. Diffucult rembering that's why this forum is great.

Cheers all for replies

KIAB likes this.
  12. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

It was exactly that RW. Well spotted