Three phase colour code

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Frere, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Frere

Frere New Member

I have to wire up a three phase motor (Delta config.) I have a four wire cable with Brown, Blue, & Black wires (Plus of course Green/Yellow) for earth. Can anyone advise what the British (European) standard is for Phase one, two, and three? Also what are the relative benefits of Delta as opposed to star configuration?

2. plugwash

plugwash New Member

brown black and blue is NOT a standard 3 phase color code
    it sounds like a flex intended for 2 lives and a neutral

currently british wiring is in a changeover
    old code
    red L1
    yellow L2
    blue L3
    black neutral

new code
    brown L1
    black L2
    grey L3
    blue neutral

3. mskelec

mskelec New Member

brown black blue is a continental standard for three phase. i cant remember where it originates from but i think it might be italy..?
    and they go in that order.
    brown being red
    black being yellow
    blue being blue

4. mskelec

mskelec New Member

or, as plug indicated it could be bi-phase.
    though it doesnt have to be flex.

i think some parts of poland and the czech (?) republic use bi-phase

5. Stoday

Stoday New Member

Also what are the
    relative benefits of Delta as opposed to star
    configuration?

Main reason for a delta winding is that a neutral isn't necessary because the phases are balanced, so why have it? Also 3rd harmonics are attenuated.

6. Sparks21

Sparks21 New Member

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Your flex is fine, it has TWO blacks. Brown is L1, one Black is L2 and the other is L3, the Blue is the Neutral. This is a standard euro-type flex. Very soon, the second black will turn into a grey i would think.

8. spud gun

spud gun New Member

Are you doing the full installation or just the motor end, I have come across every combination of connections using control cable,blue as phase, black as earth etc, also if it is SY type with an outer braid it is good practice to earth it using the correct gland.This type of cable has been in common use in industry for 20 years. I have never seen a 3ph induction motor with a neutral connection, star or delta the configuration is more about torque, small hp motors are usually star, bigger ones delta and even bigger - star/delta

9. Unless the installation is wired under the new colours i would sleeve brn blk blu as red yell blu.
    Delta wiring gives max power on a 400 rated motor (generally over 2.2 KW)
    If a motor is wired in star it is usually a dual voltage motor 230/400 and generally less than 2.2kw

10. Lectrician

Yup, a star config set of windings has a mid point, but no need for a neutral still ;)

11. plugwash

plugwash New Member

don't some motors start in star then switch to delta?

12. spud gun

spud gun New Member

Yes usually found in large compressors and the like, star connection keeps the starting current down until a timer switches the contactors over to delta

13. Lectrician

Yup, but still no neutral needed :)

14. Frere

Frere New Member

Thanks to all who responded. I wired the cable today and motor runs like a dream. (BrownL1,BlackL2,BlueL3)
    mskelectric - special thanks for the East europe hint, as it happens I'm in Czech Republic (That's why I'm working on a Sunday!) Incidentally I put a note on the cable to say 'old' europe color code (In English) wonder if anyone will read it?

15. Septic

Septic New Member

I do not know wherehalf the answer's come from but this is the future 3phase colours. BUT I MUST WARN PEOPLE I HAVE WORKED ON ITALIAN SHIPS WHERE THEY USE BROWN ON A THREE CORE CABLE AS EARTN.

16. mskelec

mskelec New Member

I do not know wherehalf the answer's come from but
    this is the future 3phase colours. BUT I MUST WARN
    PEOPLE I HAVE WORKED ON ITALIAN SHIPS WHERE THEY USE
    BROWN ON A THREE CORE CABLE AS EARTN.

no, it isnt.
    you my friend are a moron. and you dont use scotch blocks outside. i really hope you arent a practising electrician as the public really are in danger...

17. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Your flex is fine, it has TWO blacks. Brown is L1, one Black is L2 and the other is L3, the Blue is the Neutral.

If Frere had 1 Brown, 2 Blacks and 1 Blue, I wonder why he tried to mislead us all by saying that he had Brown, Blue, Black & Green/Yellow?

18. Lectrician

BAS - well spotted :(

I was sure he said 2 blacks, and we work with this on a regular basis :)

19. Frere

Frere New Member

lectrician - Yes I used Brown Black Blue as in my original post but they seem to use two blacks and a brown a lot over here (Czech Republic) which seems like a recipe for disaster to me, if you don't buzz out the two blacks surely the motor won't work if the two blacks are reversed. Roll on the Europe wide new standard

20. plugwash

plugwash New Member

if you get 2 phases swapped motors will run backwards

apparently this is such a problem with some 3 phase systems that you can buy (can't remember where i saw it but it was either RS or FARNELL) 3 phase CEES where you can use a small screwdriver to swap two of the phase pins to make your equipment turn the right way with the socket you are using