Tile adhesive recommendations

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Chris_b, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Chris_b

Chris_b Member

Hi all, could you recommend a suitable adhesive for ceramic tiles onto hardibacker fixed to a stud wall please? I need it to be fairly fast setting too.

Nicobond would probably be brand of choice but I suppose the Bal stuff is pretty good also.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just use s rapid set bagged adhesive :)

tore81 likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. Chris_b

Chris_b Member

Is that because bagged adhesive uses a chemical reaction to set rather than ready mixed which uses evaporation?

While we're on the subject, when you tape and skim the joins in the boards do you need to let it dry before applying the adhesive and bedding the tiles?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I too will suggest Ardex X7 or X77 standard times or X7R rapid - available in white or grey.

Visit the Ardex website and have a read - do you really need rapid set or is standard OK?

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

As KIAB and I suggest, Ardex, however you do need to consider what you mean by "fairly fast setting" - teh Ardex X7R can be walked on after 2 hours, however the time you have from mixing to using is also significantly reduced. From experience, the normal X7 allows for around 10 minutes of adjustment time after fixing, and grouting can be done after 8 hours and within 24 hours will normally have cured enough to be walked on.

KIAB likes this.
  9. Chris_b

Chris_b Member

CGN likes this.
  10. Chris_b

Chris_b Member

The reason I asked about setting times is because I've read the ready mixed will take longer to dry on backer board, I think it was the Bal website, up to 3 days the say for whitestar! I would like to tile and possibly grout the same day depending on how fast the tiling gets done.

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

In thailand they use a 50/50 of cement and powdered tile adhesive mixed with water to stick tiles on. Inside and out.. Make of that what you will. Do we over complicate things or are they on to something?

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Whatever works I suppose.
    Most brands of adhesive I've used have worked well, not tiling everyday to have a preference :)

13. Chris_b

Chris_b Member

What would be the best trowel for sticking 500 x 250 ceramic wall tiles going around a shower?

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10mm notch trowel.