tile adhesive

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by gryphon, Jul 27, 2016.

1. gryphon

gryphon Member

Would a tile adhesive fix/hold a sheet off thin Formica/laminate sheet. I would probably also go screw and raw plug to keep in position.
    One wall is part newly plastered and part old painted plaster. The other wall is older painted plaster.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Use Stixall or Sticks Like.

3. gryphon

gryphon Member

I had been looking at grip fill or pink grip, similar stixa ll, then somebody suggested tile adhesive. Just thought I'd throw it out there see what people thought.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Sticks like would be better as its a lot runnier so would less likely to cause humps and bumps.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Had all this once!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Only diy here but wouldn't suggest using tile adhesive on formica / plaster

The tile ady bonds by crystalsing and attaching itself to the porous tile / wall surface - it ain't gonna do that on plastic

As above, a no nails type product will do the job. Solvent free much easier to use, especially over a large area and squishes out much better than the solvent varieties

Solvent free doesn't have the instant grab though so will need supporting during the curing process

What are you trying to achieve here ?
    Just wondering as by using screws as well will the end result be compromised ?
    Can use chrome screw caps - the flat ones look so much better than those old dome type caps but will the finish look better with no viable fixings ?

7. gryphon

gryphon Member

Screws to hold to the wall was always going to be part of the plan with a white cap to hide screw.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

9. gryphon

gryphon Member