Tile backer screws

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Nicholbe, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Nicholbe

Nicholbe Member

Noting some poor reviews of Hardie tile backer screws, is there a alternative / Screwfix equivalent ?

I am using 6 mm Hardie on 20 mm chipboard existing floor - assume about 25 mm length required.

Many thanks for any information supplied.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I used Reisser Cutter screws the last time I installed HardieBacker - however I did drill the board first.

Hardie screws are only part threaded - so that the board is pulled down onto the floor below and the screws cut their own countersink. There are not many part threaded 25mm screws so if you go away from Hardie you will need to pre-drill.

And be careful ... are you sure the chipboard is 20mm and not 18mm? Even then a 25mm screw could as it sinks itself protrude below the board and you need to know there are no pipes or cables immediately below.

3. Nicholbe

Nicholbe Member

Many thanks for reply Pollowick, you are correct its 18 mm - guess I willl need some 20 mm screws.

On a related note - is the 12 mm board much stronger / better than the 6 ? - I can take the add height ok.

Thanks again

KIAB likes this.
  4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

All you are doing is putting down a suitable surface to tile on. I believe they recommend 6 for floors and 12 for walls.

If you are feeling really adventurous, and want extra strength take up the chipboard and lay HardieFloor! 18 or 25 thick T&G boards direct on the joists. I did it on one bathroom floor.

KIAB likes this.