tile over bricks wall

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by oliver84, May 13, 2014.

1. oliver84

oliver84 New Member

Hi

Can I tile straight on top brick wall like on the picture
    I spoke with the tiler and he said yes but I need to use a lot o tile adhesive could you confirm is the correct. Thnx a lot

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

This looks like a bathroom ( bath handle in pic?), if so stick tileboard to the wall first and tile on to that, two reasons, waterproofing and easier to tile on.

3. oliver84

oliver84 New Member

I was thinking about green plasterboard first do u think that will be ok

4. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

HardieBacker board would be the ideal solution.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I think maybe you will have a problem sticking anything to that wall. Jolly good brush down and stabilizer applied, maybe.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. oliver84

oliver84 New Member

I want to fix cls timber to the brick then green plasterboard and tiles

7. tiptoptiler

tiptoptiler New Member

Right as a tiler id not tile on top of that unless your a proper dinlo ritlo.
    This is your plan of attack

1) brush off the walls 50/50 PVA over the lot your need 3 good coats then dot n dab your GREEN plasterboard or tile backer board on. (scrim tape the joints)
    as this will be allot tighter to the wall then stud work less chance of wood rotting. If water did get in there.

2)same as (1) brush an glue then float the walls with hardwall or OCR rule off then devil float. This should give you 99.9% flat plum tidy walls to tile then just skim what your not tiling then ready to paint.

Any good time served spread that's worth his salts can float coat walls to a high stranded. I know I can still
    soo there you go mucka thats what out there for you to choose from id say dont even bother with studding..

8. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Wash down & dry then vacuum off. Seal properly, i.e. Not PVA. Cement scratch coat. Tile.

Those tiles are never coming off.

9. tiptoptiler

tiptoptiler New Member

i can just see some one there with the shower saying is it clean dear then holding a hair dryer

both PVA and SBR are ok for brickwork dont need to go over kill on the float coat

metrokitchens likes this.
  10. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I was thinking of towel dry then dyson on the walls - the brush action is amazing.
    Poor sod - in ten years his missus will want different tiles and he will be asking how to remove them.

11. tic.tic

tic.tic New Member

Bee jeez..just fix the timber insulate between it backer board an tile!!!

Lots of advice there... but lot more time consuming and more money for plastering ect....