Tile Shop

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by HandyDoug, May 14, 2016.

1. HandyDoug

HandyDoug New Member

I have an opportunity to invest in a local Tile Shop and I'm researching the potential. We have what we believe are innovative retail ideas for the front of store (there are a number of boutique Kitchen and Bathroom stores locally so plenty of ideas to think about). However on the trade side I'd be interested in feedback on what would draw you to a local store instead of your usual suppliers. We have been thinking about next day delivery (on stock items), trade loyalty scheme, online ordering, etc. However I'm interested in any specific feedback - specially on what you would look for in a local Tiling supplies store rather than generic business advice.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Selling quality tiles rather then the mass produced out of Shape carp that the big boys sell.

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yeah, poor quality tiles are a nightmare.
    Have found that Johnston's are generally a bit naff, made in England. :'(.
    I don't buy many tiles tho, always prefer the customer to choose what they want, unless its just bog standard whites for landlord's properties, but don't do many of them anyway.

The local independent shop I use sells adhesive, grout and trim at a very good price which I buy a fair bit of.
    Father and son owned and always recommend people to go there as they are nice guy's with good customer service.
    The only down side is they don't have a massive range.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Decent trade price on adhesive, grout, trim etc. Possibility of credit account facility's and free dilivery. That's about it :)

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What other competition is there in your area,go & have a nosey, see what you can do better,can't rely just on the trade today, retail is a big market, also local Kitchen and Bathroom stores,depends on the tiles they offer, make yourself known to them & what you offer, could be possiblity of getting trade from them.
    You need something that makes you different from other tile shops, so you get peeps through your door, quaility tiles,service,etc.