Tile trim HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by greeny181, Jan 25, 2014.

1. greeny181

greeny181 Member

Hi everyone,
    Left the hardest part of the tiling to the end - around the inside of the window. I'm using 305mm square 10mm thick travertine tiles and iv bought some 12mm metal radius tile trim. My question is:-
    Do I leave the same grout line either side of the trim as iv used in the rest of the room (2mm). I'm seeing on other threads on other sites the trim should but up to the tiles but I'm thinking there's the potential of water getting in if there's the slightest gap as the sink is just below the window recess.
    Thanks for your help guys!!!

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi there
    Don't really think that water ingress will be a problem here with the trims so as above, butt trims up to tiles

When you bed the trims into the tile adhesive, some of the ady will squidge through the cut outs in the trim and so will fill any small gaps between tile and trim - make sure you clean all excess ady off trims before it sets as it can discolour the finish (apart from being a pig to get off once dry)

When you grout, again any small gaps will be filled with grout so will seal the tile / trim joint

3. greeny181

greeny181 Member

Cheers for the reply Dave.
    Am i right in saying the trim should run flush with the tiles or over-hang them slightly (there seems to be a slight lip on the trim)? Everyone seems to be doing different things when iv checked out other tiling jobs!

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi Greeny,
    The idea is to get the trim and tile at the same level mate.

5. greeny181

greeny181 Member

Cheers Fat Hands, thought it would be better. Just hoping I can cut the tiles totally straight as to ensure no gap is visible between the trim and cut edge of the tile!

FatHands likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Greenly,
    You'r not getting how to use the trims properly and worrying unnecessarily

Take a tile and place the trim over the edge - no adhesive at this stage - this is just to understand how they work

You will see that the trim overlaps the tile edge by a couple mm, thus hiding any cut edges

That's another reason why you butt the tiles up inside the trim

No problems mate, just solutions here so please ask away
    You want to end up with a great job that your pleased with