Tiled bath panel no access door

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Smiffy3594, May 20, 2013.

1. Smiffy3594

Smiffy3594 New Member

Have tiled bath panel with no access panel (was like it when moved in) bizzare !!

Now have leak running into neighbours garage

Landlords building workers have said they will put remove some tiles and put a wood access door in which is gonna look awful (the whole bathroom is tiled in same tiles)

Suggested to landlord that the tiles would be fixed to a panel and could they not cut through where grouting is and through what the tile(s) are attached too keeping it all in one piece and then hinge the tiled panel back on so it keeps the look & have some sory of push and release mechanism to open and close it -landlord was all for it says he is gonna speak to his guys but he is forgetful

Does anyone think this is do-able

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Chances are the panel will go up under the rim of the bath so you can't cut it cleanly and using a jig saw to cut through after removing the grout will dig the bath near the top and cut the supports. but if your landlord ok's it it's worth a try!

The Bosch multi tool would be the way to go, with the optional grout remover accessory.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gop250ce-250w-multi-cutter-240v/75197;jsessionId=tYTkRhmKKNT8y2n5tn3Q2NN5kBr3vhkn1fvGJZFDv7YXC6Wt42NJ!-235270506!1369073194859

Regards'
    teabreak

3. surfermick

surfermick New Member

yes it may be do-able, as long as the tiles have a gap between them. as teabreak says they would need to be careful not to cut into the bath,best to keep the panel to about 3/4 the way up,Perhaps use a fine disc to remove the grout first, then a jigsaw to cut the opening.  it may be best to try and set the removed panel up with magnetic catches rather than hinges because it will be very difficult to connect the hinges. just build an inner frame on the left over bath panel slightly narrower than the hole,put magnetic brackets in place and clip the panel insert in place.

ps,its not that unusual to see a no access bath panel, ive seen it a lot.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Get rid of it completely. Get/make another(removable). Sorted.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Smiffy3594

Smiffy3594 New Member

Been google-ing - if there was already a hidden panel in there it says that silicone would have been used to camouflage instead of grout how would you tell the difference between silicone & grout.

I know the landlord should know if there is a hidden panel but he is useless he didn't even remember where the bathroom was when he came to look (I've only got 1 bedroom flat) !!

6. Mr. Handyandy

You would see the difference between silicone and grout. But run a scourer along the grout lines, it will slide across, but not slide on the silicone.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Mr. Handyandy

Your forgetful landord needs reminding often that it is leaking into next door, or is he the landlord there also?(If so, it'll fall on deaf ears)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Smiffy3594

Smiffy3594 New Member

No he's not the landlord of property thats getting the leak - I live over residential garages and its leaking into a neighbours garage (which is at least better than someones living space)

Have to nag all the time to get things fixed once he's done the leak he will be nagged about another issue that he's known about since January !!!

If it wasn't a really nice flat & good location I'd move

9. For this kind of job to be done properly - so's it'll look like you want - it'll take a careful cove a fair bit of time. And I think you'll find there's a good chance the landlord's handyman just won't be up to the job. And the landlord won't want to pay the the few hours labour it'll take to achieve in any case. And it'll look pants.

Are the current tiles readily available? If so, Mr Ha's option is likely to be the best - a new panel with new tiles fitted and made removable from the off.

10. Hi Smiffy

Im a landlord and I do work for letting agents.

The landlord needs to understand that to leave the leak will further deteriorate the building fabric abd may eventually lead to further costs, regarding remedial repairs. He needs to know that as you have now informed him then you no longer bear any responsibility for subsiquent damage.

As for getting at the leak, it may be simplest to go from downstairs up through the ceiling.

If not, as Mr Handy A mentions, the next cheapest will be to strip out the existing tiled panel and replace with either a wooden effect (MDF) or plastic panel.

After that, if you really want to, and as long as there is an accessible section for about 600-800mm from the tap end, simply create a two section tiled panel. The longest (fixed) section can be the existing panel, the shortest can be a second panel mounted on its own frame but fixed by capped screws (I'm not sure if magnetic catches will be strong enough, still a good idea though by surfer Mick)

And the oscillating type tools mentioned by Mr teabreak are really good. I happen to use the Fein. Used one yesterday to re-cut a kitchen worktop for a new bigger sink, nothing else would do!

Finally the real achilles heel for landlords is for you to withold payment (or part payment) unitl all reasonable repairs are carried out. This

1/ gets thier attention
    2/ makes them aware that you really do mean business
    3/ from a legal point of view, is totally reasonable and if landlord threatens you with eviction you are on solid ground, no judge would uphold a landlords complaint in this instance
    4/ You can still be really nice about it by saying that you offer to have the work carried out on his behalf and will be sending the bill to him (amounts to be deducted in monthly installments by lower rent payments)

If he goes through a management agency you have even more sway as they dont want you to make waves

Hope this helps

Russ

www.iiplumbing-services-derby.co.uk

http://www.iiplumbing-services-derby.co.uk

11. Smiffy3594

Smiffy3594 New Member

Wish you were local to me you could sort (lol)

Have been googling solutions for creating the access panels (as am sure the landlord hasn't to avoid his guys doing a bodge job and sticking a wood access panel which would look ugly) as long as his guys can get of some tiles without breaking them - have found a product called Silverline Magnetic Catches http://www.silverlinetools.com/products?search=magnetic+catches only thing is it doesn'st say how they are fixed I am assuming that you just glue them in - what do you think, they're only £ 5.00 and have found somewhere local that stocks them.

12. Gazowl1975

Gazowl1975 Member

My tiled bath panel has no way to access plumbing if there's ever a issue been in for over ten years never needed access but yes it's a good idea just in case I just saved some of the original tiles in loft and thought I'll smash my way in and replace lol.