Tiled floor edge trim

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by dax, Jan 16, 2016.

1. dax

dax New Member

I would be grateful for any advice or thoughts from the forum. I am going to have my entrance hall tiled. Because there is limited clearance below the door, I intend to leave an area of about 70cm X 80cm without tiles which will leave a well for the doormat. I believe that it is advisable to fit a metal edge / trim to protect the edges of the tiles. What I would like know is whether it would be better to fit an aluminium trim or a stainless steel trim. The first thought was that stainless steel, being much harder than aluminium, would be better but much more difficult to cut, especially as it would need to be mitred. However, when I looked at the profiles of the available trim, I found that the aluminium trim was a substantial, milled item whilst the stainless steel was formed from quite thin, rolled metal.
    There are several manufacturers but they all seem to be very similar. The profiles below are from Schluter Schiene and I am considering either the "ES" (stainless steel) or "A" (aluminium) versions. I would appreciate any thoughts as to which would be the best choice. Incidentally, many of the sales sites show the aluminium and steel versions as having the same profile which is incorrect.

I didn't know on which forum to post this so I will also post it on the Plumbers and Builders forums. I hope that this will not contravene the rules of the site.
    Many thanks in advance, Dax
    View attachment 10812 View attachment 10811

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's considered bad manners to put the same post in multiple forums.

3. dax

dax New Member

Thanks chippie. I wasn't aware of that but I did have doubts; hence my final sentence.