tiled floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Bennjy12345, May 2, 2016.

1. Bennjy12345

Bennjy12345 Member

Tiled a floor a few months back now all are lifting where you walk. The floor is set out on timbers that are say on bricks so floor always moved. Put a 6mm ply base down then pva all over. Full screed of adhesive and seemed to be bedded okay. Ino ill need to.lift them and thought of putti g down a lino but i do.like tiles. Is there anything else i coukd try or what I'm doing wrong

2. You should not have used pva.6mm ply is also too thin you should have used 3/4".
    I cannot comment on the timbers though as I do not know how much flex you have on the floor.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

NO pva, it's not needed.
    As soon as pva gets damp, it activates again & becomes sticky, so tile adhesive will never stay down, & use 18mm ply for floor.

4. Bennjy12345

Bennjy12345 Member

Okay thanks I was always told to use pva. Never had an issue before with but thanks I won't use it again. Would 18mm take the flex out of the floor enough?

5. That is something that can only be assessed on site.

6. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

My tiler,with whom I am very pleased,wanted 9mm ply on top of floor boards (70's house) but screwed every 100mm. This, I was very happy to do. The tiles have been down for 6 or 7 years with no sign of lifting or cracking. Certainly no PVA was used. :)

Bennjy12345 likes this.