Tiled over isolation valves

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Curious9, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Curious9

Curious9 New Member

Hi. In re-furbing the bathroom my plumber has left the old basin isolation valves in placed (turned on) and added a bit of pipe and new valves for the new basin. They old valves are now of course hidden behind tiling. Any opinions on whether this was a good idea? These valves are not known to leak unless/until they are turned on/off but do they restrict the water flow to the taps ?

2. Don't worry.

Are your taps flowing fine? Yes? Good.

Find something important to worry about, like Brexit... :rolleyes:

Joe95, KIAB and CGN like this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As DA said really. A bit lazy on behalf of your plumber though...could have removed isolators and joined pipe on!

KIAB likes this.
  4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A friend of mine had been called out the other week to a house as there was a problem with upstairs toilet. Apparently the bathroom had recently been refurbed and a concealed cistern fitted. They'd tiled over where the cistern was with no means of accessing it!! Now that is more of a concern!!

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sloppy work!

Joe95 and CGN like this.
  6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Guess he was flushed after sorting that out!

CGN likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Years ago I worked on a house with no gas, yet I put the kango through a live gas pipe, gas board found the meter in a bricked up cupboard.:eek:

Meter was like this one.

[​IMG]

CGN likes this.
  8. Curious9

Curious9 New Member

Thanks for the views. I guess I'll find out how well the taps flow once they're in, just thought I would check for opinions before everything's grouted in and finished.
    Brexit DA ? I didn't think bad language was allowed on this forum !

9. A very lazy and in my opinion cowboy move to tile over the valves.
    Unless they are full bore valves the internal dimension is smaller than 15mm.

KIAB likes this.
  10. Doall

Doall Active Member

If you have a combi then I'd say no problem but if it's a vented system then well could affect the pressure if not full bore

11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Nursing home I worked in, had a shower room refurbished. Plumber left the iso valve for the shower and told the builders not to tile over it. (they did) One day the shower failed to operate (think it was a fault with the servo valve on it) Had to replace the shower by turning off the main incoming valve for the whole building. (shower was replaced like for like)