Tilers - I've got a hole in my slate tile!

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Dr.P, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Dr.P

Dr.P Member

Hi,

So here's what's going on. I've got slate tiles in my kitchen and they're not honed so obviously they're not level.

Unknown to me, one of the larger tiles is quite thin and there's now a hole in it. I can get my finger in there and there's an area (about 50mm x 50mm) that's not touching the adhesive. I still have the actual bit of slate that came off exposing the hole.

So, what's the best plan? I'm thinking that I fill the void with something and then place the bit of slate on top.

If that's the best plan, what do I fill the void with? I need something solid enough to support the tile but also sticky enough to keep the tile chip in place.

Sand and cement?
    Slightly watered down tiling adhesive?

Thanks

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I would use epoxy resin, should work as it's good for brick etc. A bit messy to work with but that's what I would try.

3. If you already have some, then sand and cement should do nicely. Fill the void right up, and then level it so's it takes the tile piece at the correct height.

It should adhere fine, although it might be tricky to get it to the exact right 'level'. Ie - the tile chip will likely be a perfect fit to the area it came off, and you'd want it replaced the same way. Sand/cement is too gritty and thick as an adhesive for this tile-to-tile mating, so by all means use a smear of epoxy - or even 'super' - glue to fix the actual chip down in place afterwards.

But I'd still fill that void with something solid like sand/cement in order to support it and prevent any further damage.

4. Dr.P

Dr.P Member

I like the sound of the epoxy but I don't think it's liquid enough to fill the hole. I might just mostly fill it with sand and cement and then get some tile adhesive and stick the bit of slate on with that.

Thanks

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. The void is around 50mm x 50mm - but how deep? If it's shallow, almost anything will fill it - you could use patching plaster, for example, provided you let it dry out fully.

I mean, it ain't worth buying a bag of mortar for the need for a tablespoon's worth.

If you have tile adhesive, then even that will do it. If it's the type that dries out to 'set', then give it a good week to do so before fitting the missing piece over it. Or even fill the hole and 'tamp' the piece down on top until it's flush, and then wipe away excess adhesive using a damp cloth. Place something over it all for a week so's it ain't disturbed.

Dr.P likes this.
  6. Andy Ryan

Andy Ryan New Member

This was my shout also.
    Wear a mask when dealing with epoxy, this is in case you don't want some "accidental fun", if you do, well don't wear a mask.

7. Dr.P

Dr.P Member

I had a couple of bags of sand and cement knocking around so I made a lean, watery(ish) mixture of that and poured it in. A couple of days later and it's nice and dry so I'll get some adhesive on there and stick the tile piece back on.

Thanks for all the input!