tiles from b&q

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by skimmer, Dec 2, 2015.

1. skimmer

skimmer Member

started laying floor tiles bought in b&q and started to notice the joints were running out i then realised some tiles were bigger than others they were bigger or smaller by 2 to 3mm i had to open up some joints which done my head in anyway around this problem other than dont buy tiles in b&q

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Think you've answered your own question :)

Good and bad stuff in b and q, but generally won't buy much from them unless a necessity.

3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

yeah i have had the pain of that too! some of the tiles they sell *look* like others sold elsewhere but are not the same quality.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Not so noticeable with white tiles and white grout in a cheap and cheerful bathroom makeover.

Anyway, theyll Prob look better after some careful grouting unless they're really doing your head in, in which case pull them up and start again. If you didn't use rapid set addy then your adhesive may still be a bit 'green' so hopefully easier to get up.

5. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Had the same from Wickes. Big area, about 5-6 different batch numbers. Had to do all the joints without spacers, by eye.

6. skimmer

skimmer Member

luckily the tiles are black and the grout is charcoal so hopefully i will grout tomorrow and it wont look to bad as i have seen jobs like it before as it looks unsightly to the eye but when grouted it looks a lot better,there we are live and learn

7. Aztec

Aztec New Member

I do a lot of tiling from cheap ceramic clay right through to natural stone. You get variants in all tiles I rarely use spacers on flooring for the this reason on walls you can normaly manipulate the tile with the likes of a wedge to keep them in line. A while back I was putting some porcelain rectified tiles on a wall and noticed some were near on 3mm diffrent said tiles were £37.00 a mtr.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Huh, you get what you pay for!!!!

:(

I've had it happen with B&Q white wall tiles. Stick your first row up and it just so happens 3 or 4 tiles were each half a millimeter short, second row normal size, you lost your gap completely. Knackered.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

I've had this with homebase tiles too; the ones a customer bought (along with the dreadful bathroom suite that had to be returned twice!) were not only slightly different lengths/widths but also different thicknesses. A right 'mare to put up!