Tiling advice needed

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by exfarmertim, Aug 5, 2016.

1. exfarmertim

exfarmertim New Member

Good evening, I am just looking for advice on base layers below tiling. I am converting a barn, which has a good slab already in place. I am hoping to go dpm, rigid insulation, tile backer board, electric underfloor heating bedded in tile adhesive, then finished with tile. Will this work? I don't want to add a screed or a layer of chipboard if I can help it, but am a little concerned about any possible bounce (flexible tile adhesive, me thinks). Or is there another way?
    Many thanks

2. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Most backer boards are designed to add rigidity to an existing floor (or wall), not to act as a floor itself. If you want to do it properly you will need a screed or a chipboard floor; anything else is a bodge.

3. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Wot you described is a floating floor.............and most Tilers will not touch it. Especially with under floor heating as well.

FAR too much movement.

How good is the base??

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Don't know the answer to you question however can I suggest you look at the Hardie Flooring - T&G 2.5m long boards 500mm wide and 18 thick. Designed for flooring locks together and is for tiling on. Probably easier to install than than standard backer board.

5. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

I didn't know they did a full floor. Any idea how this compares price-wise to a 'chipboard+backer' floor?