tiling around a bath

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by gary1966, Aug 27, 2012.

1. gary1966

gary1966 New Member

i am contemplating purchasing a shower bath to replace a shower cubicle and bath that i currently have with regard to tiling do i

1. install the bath and tile up from the bath edge

or

2. mark the height of the bath and pre tile the wall with the lower tile (installed on batons) willl be below the top of the bath

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

This question(almost word for word) appeared a few months ago!

3. gary1966

gary1966 New Member

this is my original question, although i have spent time reading previous posts about the same thing i just want to confirm which is the best option

4. Hi Gary.

Done this yet?

I would recommend you tile a good couple of inches below bathtop level first, and grout this too, using a cement-based grout (ie: not the ready-mixed stuff that sets by drying, but a pwoder to which you add water and which then sets chemically).

When you then fit the bath, you'll have a perfect surface to place it against - even the fixing brackets will be a nicer fix through the tiles. A really good thick bead of sili betwixt bath edge and tiles, fix in place, and smooth off excess. Allow to fully set and then run your final sealing/decorative sili bead along t'top.

(When the sili seal around a bth fails even a tiny bit, the problem wot occurs is that the small amount of water then gets to the wall surface. Whether it's plaster or plasterboard, it'll soak up this moisture and will expand and fail. Tiling over this vulnerable area beforehand make complete sense...)

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

No, no, no, no, no, no!

tore81 likes this.
  6. G Brown

G Brown New Member

ALWAYS install the bath first - tight to the wall, silicon flush between bath and wall - then tile down to the bath finishing off with another bead of silicon.

NEVER fit the tiles before fitting the bath.

7. Comeinhandy

Comeinhandy New Member

Agreed, apart from the fact that silicon sealant has a habit of peeling off. Polymer sealant is far superior and hugely sticky. It's used as a seam sealer on car bodywork, so a lot stronger. It's can also be painted over, or covered in silicon afterwards. Personally I prefer to recess my baths in a flat surround giving loads of space for putting shampoo etc, but then waterproofing is super critical. I use liquid resin. See this video I made...

8. Comeinhandy

Comeinhandy New Member

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Will you bog off before you get reported.

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I wouldn't have used the name Comeinhandy! Sounds a bit wrong.

Stop spamming your videos.

That's what Youtube is for.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I wonder if he did come in Handy, he has been a bit quiet recently ;);)

goldenboy likes this.
  12. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

Should be "How not to tile a bathroom"
    NEVER use PVA.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You actually watched it o_Oo_Oo_O

14. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

Fraid so, couldn't believe what I was seeing.
    Who puts a cubicle in first then tiles up to it both sides?