Tiling Breeze Block

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by greenchris, Aug 18, 2017.

1. greenchris

greenchris New Member

Hi all,

I know the title suggests I'm asking a question that's been asked before - the general consensus seems to be that tiling straight on to block is possible, but probably a bad idea. So that's not the plan.

See attached picture - I've moved a bathroom wall, leaving a block cylinder cupboard which needs tiling. My DIY position is that I'm pretty competent at everything but plastering. This isn't my first bathroom fit, I've done everything myself so far, and I'll be tiling, but I'm not 100% sure about plastering that wall myself. I might be able to do it well enough to tile, but I don't want to risk the tiled finish being uneven.

I want to plasterboard that breeze block wall and tile on top of that - but I've also read I can sand and cement the block wall before tiling. One issue with the board is that the door is very close to that wall - board plus tiles would cover the door frame and get close to the door (which might be unavoidable).

So questions are:

1 - suggestions re: plaster vs sand/cement vs. board
    2 - if the answer is plaster or sand/cement, how thick would it need to be?
    3 - If I board, can I use 9mm board to reduce the effect on the door frame?

Money is not the top priority here. I'm happy to spend if I need to, in order to do the job right. However I would like to do as much as possible myself. I'm off work at the moment and have plenty of time.

Thanks all!

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Joe95 likes this.
  3. greenchris

greenchris New Member

Excellent suggestion, thank you. Now looking for a place I can buy less than 10 sheets at once...

4. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Would Wickes
    Knauf Aquapanel Floor Tile Board 1200x900x6mm £15.19 each
    be suitable ?

5. greenchris

greenchris New Member

OK, I have ordered some Marmox Multiboard, thanks! In the end I decided it was so cheap I might as well buy a 10 pack - I need at least 4, and I'm sure I'll find a use for the other 6. Maybe a Warhammer gaming board, hmm...

Any particular advice on how to attach it to the wall? NOTE - I've answered this myself but I'm posting for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread, apparently you CAN'T use PB dot and dab, you need a cement based adhesive (see here: http://www.marmox.co.uk/about/frequently-asked-questions) Also the guide for installing is here: http://www.pureadhesion.co.uk/REAL_LOCATION/index.php?dispatch=attachments.getfile&attachment_id=141

Its hard to believe anyone will find this post without finding those links themselves, but who knows, maybe I'll help someone. I also want to ask about the best adhesives, but I'm going to do some searching first, and I'll post a new thread if I need to ask.

6. greenchris

greenchris New Member

Just coming back with a follow up - thanks KIAB, that stuff is awesome! It did a great job on the wall in question, and I'm considering doing the rest of my house with it...

VickyL and KIAB like this.