tiling external brick wall

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by alf90220, Aug 3, 2017.

1. alf90220

alf90220 New Member

I will be tiling external brick wall but more I think about it the more questions I have:

1. does the brick wall need to be prepared in a special way - ie is there a primer that i need to use to seal it before tiling? (picture of the wall here: http://tinyurl.com/ybc2wwas)

2. adhesive - I was thinking about ARDEX x77 ?

3. are there external metal trims ? if not how do you finish the top so it looks good and water does not go behid the tiles?

4. grout - any recomendations?

I would like to add that the brick wall is on 1950s house, it is in a fairly good condition.

are there any other things that I should consider?

thanks

2. Why would you want to cover perfectly good brickwork with tiles?
    It will look really out of place with other properties and will probably devalue it.
    If you come to sell, prospective buyers will want to know what the tiles are hiding and try to knock the price down or walk away.
    Bit like the hideous false looking artificial stone cladding craze years ago.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I can understand hanging tiles, but it sounds like you want to put bathroom like tiles on this wall???

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spot on.

Cost thousands to remove the tiles, usually damages the brickwork in the process, so you then end up having to have house rendered.:confused:

5. alf90220

alf90220 New Member

I understand this is your personal preference to have a bare brick wall in your gardens. That's great but that still does not answer any of my questions.

6. alf90220

alf90220 New Member