Tiling fresh plastered wall in kitche

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by smaj, Jun 23, 2016.

1. smaj

smaj Member

Hi my kitchen walls have recently been skimmed and i need to know before i tile it do i need to put some sort of pva or something on it before i tile?

The reason i an asking is because my tiler said that i will need to buy it before i tile otherwise the tiles won't stick to the wall because the adhesive will be useless because the walls have been skimmed.

Thanks

2. Do not use pva before tiling.Read the tile adhesive instructions for any preparation required.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

If the skim has been polished then you may have further problems. You may need to wire brush it to break through the surface and remove the fine dust layer. Follow that with something like Ardex P51 ...

I had my bathroom patched and "skimmed" - two walls which were to be painted were finished smooth whereas the two which were to be tiled had just bonding used without a finish plaster, left combed through. The tiles have stuck to that in an amazing way and cannot be shifted. It was my plasterer that told me it was the way to do it - how right he was.

4. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

Wow, isn't it amazing what you read in forums sometimes. Why would you take tiling advice from a plasterer? Either the plaster was just been lazy and spinning you a tale, or he was inept at been an expert in other fields. Bonding is not suitable as a tile substrate, its too weak and too absorbent, it is not a finish coat. How wrong he was!

I'll be making my tea tonight, but I won't be asking a builder for cooking advice...

5. smaj

smaj Member

Just spoke to topps tiles and they said its a product called tile primer.

Thanks

6. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

? Its just a kitchen splashback, why prime and use a bagged adhesive? If you're at Topps just buy a bucket of Greenstar and use that, its what I do.

7. smaj

smaj Member

Does the greenstar product contain the primer within it aswell as adhesive?

8. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

Indeed it does! Any good bucket adhesive will have an inbuilt primer.