Tiling meeting plaster in bathroom

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by jake hurst, Sep 28, 2015.

1. jake hurst

jake hurst New Member

Hi there,

We are completely refitting our bathroom which is currently plasterboarded (first fix by plumbers done). I will be tiling a couple of walls where the shower will go, I intend to tile up to the ceiling and past the edge of where the cubicle will meet the wall, but not to the corner of the room ie. there will be a seem where tiling meets plaster (see attached diagram - dotted line indicates shower position). We havn't started tiling or plastering at this point and I am looking for some advice as to which to do first.

I have read a couple of times that plastering should be done first, feathering in to where the tiles will go. However, I intend to put up a coving, and am worried about the difference in profile between the plaster and the tiles once the coving is on. I was hoping to tile first then plaster up to the tiles to reduce the difference, and thought it might be easier to plaster evenly up to a straight edge then fill in the coving gap with decorator's caulk. There will be a vertical beading or border at the edge of the tiles.

Thanks everyone
    Untitled.png

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Id personally plaster the whole wall to the corner, fit the coving, then tile. Will give the exact result your after and so much neater and easier. Use a tile edge when you tile. I understand your timeline and the desire to crack on with it, however its better to do things in the correct order, especially when you're going to the trouble to do a refurb.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If it a shower, you shouldn't be tiling on plaster board, you should use a waterproof backer board before tiling.

4. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Tosh!

Plasterboard is fine to tile onto, and it can take the heavier tile, more than "skimmed plasterboard" but tank it first.

Plaster the area you want......and feather the edge just into the shower cubicle, tank in the shower, then tile. Sorted.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Tosh you say, then say the same thing?????

I wasn't saying plaster board wouldn't take the tiles, i was though saying it's not waterproof as you did, but you used the word tank, I used waterproof backer board.

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Backerboard is what every shower cubicle I have seen done in the last few years has been done out of, and every manky old one I have ripped out has been plasterboard. I wouldn't have a plasterboard shower cubicle.

7. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

I never said it was waterproof? But yes, backer board is the better choice, but most backerboards are water resistant.....not waterproof, and ideally need tanking. Builders tend to use plasterboard in bathrooms because it is cheap and easy to use, in that case I would always suggest tanking.

8. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Agreed, backerboards are better......but try telling builders that.

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

That's why my only involvement with builders is to not let their stupid pickups out in traffic!

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The main thing IMO is that the shower tray is fitted solid as a rock. As long as the walls don't 'flex' too much, i.e. sufficient stud work/dabbed PB and the silicon joints are done properly then in the majority of cases all will be well.
    Yes, tanking or HBB is the way to go, but doesn't always guarantee a problem free outcome unless the fitting is done well.

I'd rather tile straight onto bare PB, but I wouldn't recommend plastering up to tiles, especially when doing something from scratch. If making good/better an existing installation then possibly, but to me that's a bit of fudge, like plastering to skirtings/archs etc. Has to be done sometimes, but preferably avoided.

11. B green

B green New Member

U are all talking tut as soon as u introduce different substrates to each other u are pretty certain to get, cracking expansions movement ,etc .as long as you use same stable substrate and coat in a suitable tanking coat all problems disappear. And these days it is so simple and cheap to do u would have to be mad not to tried to up load photos dont know how technophobe . can get basic kit for £50 to do most small bathrooms why save that considering the money u are spending over all

12. B green

B green New Member

And backer boards are not better at all . Think about it if its getting througj its getting through . You have messed up somewhere else instead

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You’re talking ‘tut’ and as a new member, why start ranting over an old thread?