Tiling new part of kitchen

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by watercool, Mar 2, 2017.

1. watercool

watercool New Member

I'm about to tile one row of tiles above the kitchen worktop, they are 30x60cm.

I'll be tiling on to a painted wall, with a small piece of strand/osb board behind the tap (The worktop goes beyond the end of the wall so had to improvise)

Can anyone advise on how to prep and which adhesive to use, it would be really helpful.

(I'm doing all this myself as our budget is low!)

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Mark a pencil line around the perimeter of your tile splasback. Inside this, scuff the wall up with a Stanley knife (crosshatch). This will help provide a mechanical key. If the paint starts to flake off considerably, then scrape it off back to the plaster as best you can. Give this area 2 coats of tile primer and let dry.
    Use a cement based bagged adhesive to stick your tiles on...flexible variety if porcelain tiles. Tubbed (ready mixed) adhesive will take too long to dry with large format tiles, as the bagged adhesive sets by chemical reaction. Depending on how flat your walls are, you may be ok with an 8mm notch trowel.

At the end of the day, it's a kitchen splashback so won't be subjected to lots of water, so you don't need to be quite as picky compared to say a shower area.

3. watercool

watercool New Member

Thanks very much! The walls are good and flat, will see how the paint gets on with the knife. I hadn't read about the tile primer so thats new info, Thanks.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Ardex P51 is one option. Diluted as instructed.

You do need to break through the paint - a good stiff wire brush may do it. Then a hatch with a blade - and don't worry if they are wide and deep. Clean off, allow to dry, then prime.

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

30x60 tiles above a WT? Do you not have a load of sockets to work around? This could be a big PITA if you have. If it's clear, no worries.

6. watercool

watercool New Member

No thankfully there's just one socket, otherwise it'd be a right headache.