Tiling on 'Almost flat' tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by GordonK, Aug 19, 2017.

1. GordonK

GordonK Member

Have some tiling thats on a bathroom that has seen better days. Its direct onto a plasterboard wall but mid way along 1 wall they clearly haven't joined 2 p'board panels properly square and they go in about 1/4 inch (maybe slightly less) so 2 'columns' of adjacent tiles go in then out ..the rest of the walls are level.

How best to fill this 'void' ?

And is it ok to tile on tiles when the tiles are on p'board?

Otherwise I can see me removing half the p'board if i have to remove these tiles! (been there before in here)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What the size of the tiles, don't like tiling on to plasterboard myself, prefer to use a tile back board,Marmox, Hardieboard, as they are 100% waterproof unlike plasterboard & will support up to 100kg per sq mtr, so good for heavey weight tiles.

GordonK likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As Kiab says, tile backer board etc is a better surface to tile on , especially in a 'wet zone' but if it isn't then PB imo is fine as it will never come into direct contact with water. In your situation, I would bite the bullet and take it all off back to the stud work and start again. May seem like more work or a bit scary if you've never done it before, but once you've removed it and cleared up, the job becomes more enjoyable. You can then refit PB and get the whole wall perfectly flat and tile away knowing that the job will last. Will be quicker too :)

GordonK likes this.
  4. GordonK

GordonK Member

Tiles on there are only 5x5 ... 1970 i think:) ... Tiles i will fit would be may free 9 x 15 ish in size...

Tempted with the aquaboard stuff as well instead ... it's for a bathroom that's really not used very much so didn't want to spend a load of money redoing partition walls..

Thanks for the responses... i think this may hurt :(

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If your using large format tiles (which you are) and if your not tiling day in and out as a pro, then you definatly want as near as perfect flat surface to start with

Small tiles you can jiggle a little and adjust by varying the adhesive bed but large format, very easy to end up with a tile here and there 'lipping' - which will annoy the hell out of you :mad:

As above, more prep indeed and ££ but highly likely a better end result :)

GordonK likes this.
  6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

The hassle of tiling over tiles is not worth it for both time and risk - you could easily exceed to max load for platerboard. Removing them and leaving the plaster board - near impossible.

Ripping off the old tiles and underlying plasterboard is a relatively quick job. Fit new sheets of 12mm Hardie backer using packing to get rid of any mismatched levels - again relatively quick and will not be that expensive. Depending on the size, I would guess it would take less than a day and you will be ready to tile immediately afterwards.

PhilSo and KIAB like this.
  7. GordonK

GordonK Member

ok so the 12mm backer is used in place of the plasterboard and not 'on top' I assume - just to check ...

NOT looking forward to this one btw :p

The guy before wallpapered directly on top of P'Board all over the house .... absolute ********g nightmare to redecorate..

8. The house must have been taped and jointed rather than skimmed with a coat of plaster.
    I always view taping and jointing as a bit of a bodge to get the job done quicker and cheaper.
    Always far better and a superior job to skim the plasterboard.

9. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Correct.

You will get great delight in ripping it out! Cleaning up might be a chore, but putting up the backer board is a fairly simple task - easier than plasterboard!

Can I ask how much plasterboard and backer you will be using throughout the house over the next months? If it is a lot, then a collated screw driver is a worthwhile investment.

10. GordonK

GordonK Member

This is the last room ... fortunately .... so not a large wall space ...

11. GordonK

GordonK Member

Tempted to just use aquaboard tbh ..but that seems a bit lazy ...