Tiling on bad floor slab

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by NigelBn, Sep 16, 2014.

1. NigelBn

NigelBn New Member

I posted this on the builders forum a couple of days ago before i spotted there was a specific tilers forum, and in the basence of any replies so far thought I would try my luck over here. Any replies appreciated - even if only to say don't be silly that will never work!

Hi, looking for help with options here. Stripped out old kitchen and lamintate floor to reveal several cracks - rubbish slab really. New kitchen coming in 6 weeks, can't be delayed, wife insists on tiled floor. No time to rip out and replace slab - and it would take too long to dry anyway. Looking for a less than ideal way that i might get away with. oh and limited headroom too!

Thought of levelling out and fix cracks as best I can, layer of DPM then 22mm chipboard glued as a floating floor, then tile on top using flexi adhesive? Any chance that might work? Many thanks

2. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

Depends if there's any movement in the slab, if it's been down for years and just settled like that it should be ok to go over with just leveling compound after filling the cracks. You can also put anti crack matting (like Ditra) over this to help with any small movement/shrinking. Forget anything involving chipboard.

3. NigelBn

NigelBn New Member

Thanks for the response. I think its past that, some bits move if you jump on them and investigation at the worst spot reveals it around 1.5 inches of concrete on a combination of the old brick floor and bare earth! So either new slab - for which there's no time for family reasons - or no tiles. Current thinking is best repair i can then engineered wood floor on a suitable damp proof underlay. IMAG0082.jpg

4. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

Yep that's not suitable for tiling. Maybe repair with cement, level if need be, then laminate wood using a good quality thermal underlay. Laminate will be easier to repair if anything goes wrong in the future, but you should get a few good years out of it anyway.

FatHands likes this.