Tiling On MDF

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Mackem55, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Mackem55

Mackem55 New Member

Hi There!

Can anyone suggest a good ceramic wall tile adhesive that will work directly on MDF board, that I have used to cover over a 'fire' opening, so it does not have to be waterproof.

I only have a relatively small area to tile (30" x 24") and I have tried using 'Unibond' Wall Tile Adhesive & Grout, but the tiles just fell away, I spread about a 3mm thickness of the adhesive over the area in stages until the tiling was complete, it was left for around an hour and when I gently wiped the excess off the tiles they just dropped off!...Some of the tiles had adhesive attached, whilst others came away completely clean. I did press the tiles firmly into place when attaching.

The feel of the adhesive was very powdery like 'Polyfiller' when they came away.

This was my first attempt at tiling, hopefully not my last and I spent some time reviewing vid's on 'you tube' before I attempted doing it. I didn't find anything related to tiling on MDF though.

Thanks in advance!

Ted

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Stick the tiles on with a grip fill type adhesive, then grout as normal.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Because MDF is absorbent it will suck out the moisture in the adhesive. Or hot melt glue gun as they use in showrooms.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As Jit says, the MDF has sucked out the moisture from the adhesive, leaving it powdery

Remove tiles and scrape of remaining adhesive, give a rub over with course grit sandpaper, P60 will do it

You need to seal the MDF prior to tiling - NOT PVA though
    Use an acrylic primer or SBR;

http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod3071/section885/Bal-Primer-1LTR.html

http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod8763/section885/BAL-Bond-SBR-Primer-1ltr.html

Also important that you minimise any flex in the MDF board. Do you know what thickness the board is, any battening behind it and lastly, does the board flex with a gentle nudge

Even tile adhesives that say "flexible" can and will fail over time when subjected to movement
    Also, combined adhesives and grout are never the best products, although I guess they offer the convenience of buying just one product if you only have a small area to work on

Good luck

Jitender likes this.
  5. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Or change the MDF to Hardibacker and then use any decent tile cement.

FatHands likes this.
  6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

When I used to make display units for B&Q, we used either gripfill or silicon sealant (obviously the first row were against the worktop (on kitchen displays) but you could support the first row with a batten, until the silicon had gone off. (leave for about 24 hrs though) ;);)

FatHands likes this.
  7. City4nil

City4nil New Member

I have a large curved bar area, which i am intending to have tiled. Its curved hence made from bendy mdf - now made rigid of course, bendy mdf isn't available in exterior grade.

I'm hoping either the Bal acrylic primer/sealer will do the trick, its an inexpensive option - can anyone advise if the SDR has any significant benefits over the acrylic primer

Attached Files:

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

City, your gonna have to use small tiles on that curve. ;);)

9. City4nil

City4nil New Member

i have a beautiful long thin ( 6mm ) offset mirror mosaic, mimics rainfall - should look superb