Tiling on to new plasterboard

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by PaulBlackpool, Nov 13, 2015.

1. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I am intending to hack off all the old plaster in my kitchen and replace with dot and dabbed plasterboard with a lot of help from my son. All the walls which are not covered by fitted units or a suspended ceiling will be tiled. Is it necessary to skim the plasterboard or can I tile directly on to it using BAL Green Star adhesive?
    If so would it be best to brush SBR on first?
    I have eventually finished a new build utility room and here I used Hardie Backerboard for the tiled lower walls but this presumably is not required for a kitchen.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Paul

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Paul
    Better to tile directly onto the plasterboard and will actually hold more weight of tiles per mtr than if skimmed
    If using a ready mixed adhesive, which you are, no need to prime either as the ready mixed contains it anyway in the "recipe"

If you were to use a powdered, cement based adhesive (which your not) then yes, SBR to prime first.....At least you didn't mentioned the dreaded PVA and tiling question ! :eek:

I'm only a diy'er but if the backs of the tiles are dusty, I give them a quick wipe with a damp rag first. Not sure if this is totally necessary but it makes me feel better anyway :)

3. PaulBlackpool

Thanks very much for your prompt reply Dave. Will do as you suggest.

4. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

As its a nice flat surface spread the adhesive onto the wall with a notched trowel then just apply the tiles with firm but steady pressure and use spacers, I normally get a 2x1 batten and tack it to the wall 1 tile and 2 spacing a high from the work top then tile from that upwards,when dry remove the batten and tile down to the worktop then grout but leave the last tile space to allow sealant in. And use a Fugi tool to finish my sealant off

5. PaulBlackpool

Thanks for that advice.

6. PaulBlackpool

Just another query. I am using two sizes of small tiles on different walls - 100mm square & 150mm x 70mm. The walls will be fully tiled on 12.5 mm plasterboard up to a suspended ceiling by dot and dab on to brick. Hopefully these tiles will not need anymore support. If they did what fixings could be used to fit through the plasterboard and into the brick?

7. PaulBlackpool

Would putting in a few masonry screws be a good idea?

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

N
    Not needed Paul :)

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  9. PaulBlackpool

Thanks CGN

10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi DNR plumbing

I seen you mention the fungi tool. Seen some you tube vids. Is this as good as it looks?

I have bought a similar kind of tool red and white rubber on. Didn't really think it was that good.

Should I invest in a fugen boy?

Cheers

11. DNR Plumbing

Yeah if you search around you can get the large kit for about £15 and it's well worth the money the finish it gives is brilliant and can be used for all sealing jobs and even things like caulking up skirting, we use ours all the time and get comments on how neat the seal is. Really helps to finish the job off professionally

12. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Ye I agree it makes the job look crisp. I have been trying to get that finish for sometime.

What is the large kit called? It is the fugen boy you use?

13. DNR Plumbing

14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks mate.