Tiling onto plywood

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Gynx, May 31, 2016.

1. Gynx

Gynx New Member

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times and whilst I've found tons of information if I was tiling a floor or bathroom, my specific issue is being annoyingly difficult to find info for.

The missus has me opening up a fireplace at the moment (not functional) and wants the inside inside of the mantle (where the back panel would be) tiling (currently emulsioned plaster) and inside the fireplace opening.

The brickwork was an absolute state inside and off centre to the chimney breast due to the addition of boxed pipes on one side. Because of this I built a 12mm wbp plywood box insert that has been fastened in.

Now my tiles have turned up today (400mm x 100mm x 10-18mm split face tiles) and I've went looking for what adhesive to buy.

The total square meters of tile will be 0.6m2 inside the insert (all on vertical surfaces) and 0.8m2 outside the insert all vertical on the plaster (which is not level so I would like to panel first)

I've gathered ply is not good for
    Moisture etc but this will be bone dry all of the time.

Any advice for tile adhesives? (Note these tiles don't have a gap between them when fitted)

Thanks

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

What about using a grab adhesive instead of a tile adhesive especially if there's no joint in the tiles.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You could just use a flexible bagged tile adhesive. Prime ply with tile primer or Sbr first and all will be good :)

4. Gynx

Gynx New Member

Would have been interested to see how ran adhesive worked.

Thanks for the replies, went with bal acrylic sbr and bal turboset tile adhesive.

So fingers crossed