Tiling Outside Porchway

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Vern68, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Vern68

Vern68 Member

Hi Folks,

Tiling the floor and walls (to dado height) of my outside porchway. It's covered, but still exposed to the elements a fair bit.

Floor: All I want on the floor is faux Victorian grey tiles, about 6 inches square. Any ideas on what adhesive and grout I should use? It will get rained on....something slow setting would be handy, as I haven't tiled before.

It's only a square metre, and most of it wil be under the door mat, but I'll try to make it as even and square as I can. I realise these have to be porcelain tiles, as they're outside. Finally, what sort of grout teeth should I use (height)?

Walls: Do the wall tiles have to be porcelain as well? I just want a glazed brick style, but porcelain seems to be very limited in choice. As I said, it'll be mostly covered, so does it really have to be porcelain on the wall as well? Also, can I use the same adhesive and grout as the floor?

Cheers.

(Also posted in Other Trades forum)

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Need a flexible adhesive for porcelain tiles, slow set is preferred to rapid set as gives more working time.

Color of adhesive is available in white or grey deepening on color of tiles, was told by someone to use white if laying light coloured tiles.

Look to use mapei grouts which are suitable for exterior applications.

3. Vern68

Vern68 Member

Thanks Jitender. Any thoughts on whether the wall tiles have to be porcelain?

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Won't make a difference whether ceramic or porcelain.

Ceramic is a lot easier to cut.

Could have a look at geometric tiles by Originalstyle, but most area would be covered by mat?