Tiling setting out please help

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Jun 24, 2017.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all

I'm hoping my knowledgeable sfix friends can help me out of a pickle

I'm trying to set out for my tiling. Getting mixed answers really from net. So what I have done -

1. Centring horizontally

I firstly tried to centre the tiles to the tray upon doing that I can see I have a slither left on one side which will look awful.

So I have decided to centre the wall instead where I have found I land with small piece where I want to fix my enclosure. So I have evens it out and come up with the photo. Which gives me an even look maybe 20mm bigger one side which won't be noticeable I'd rather than chip a piece where the pipes are

2 if no 1 is ok? Should I then use that cut to follow on to the next wall to make it look visually pleasing? Any questions please ask guys. A photo kind of explains it.

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Is that a sock in the tray. :p:p:p

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What about turning the tile the other way, or are you set on vertical bond? Whether you use the cut to start the next wall depends on what cut you will be left with in the other corner, no point having one corner flowing nicely if the other looks awful. Have you checked how the tiles finish at the ceiling if you are starting on a full tile on the tray, or is that just illustration purposes? I'd batten out the wall for your pipe boxing now if I was you, can see how the tiles finish around that before you tile the full wall, and not be left with a slither.

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Ye what you think?

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks for reply Jordy!

The other end goes into a door way reveal and ideally I'd like that to be a full tile. Which I can go 10mm over to make suit.

So probably start there now that I have worked it out. Does that sound good?

Height is another issue as I have a bath and a window flowing on the next wall.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You're governed by bath height, window cill height, window head height, ceiling to floor height, and any other intersections or obstructions to work around, that's why the setting out is the most crucial stage of tiling, don't be afraid to spend hours setting out if needed, as you'll have to live with the results for a long time if you bugger up the layout. For me at least, I try to avoid a tile cut less than 75mm, or 3 inches in old money.

tore81 likes this.
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Easy to say when I'm writing this and not actually there, but rather than start your shower area, try a full tile off the bath and see what that looks like.

8. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks jord

Spent hours this am but think I'm happy with the horizontal look now.

Just the vertical to sort out, The window is above the bath lol. It's an akward one but yes I'll have a look at that.

9. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I ended up centring the height also.which gives around 300mm top and bottom cut.

Which leaves me a 250mm cut in the shower tray side . Which I think will look ok.

It really is a bit of a pickle but think I'm getting somewhere now and have a plan of attack

The window will drop in ok. I will have two cuts to do tho on top of the bath? Can't see any thing wrong with tha, if I'm tiling onto it not sure if we are going free standing

10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

This is how the tile will sit by the window I've put the sock there too for comedy value.

As you can see I will have two cuts on top of the bath.

Hoping to get the shower done then ripping it out the bath dry lining etc.

Attached Files:

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Why have you put the shower base on the wall? :p

tore81 likes this.