Tiling shower area

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Jun 3, 2017.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all

I have dry lined using green PB and will be tanking the area.

I'm looking for advice as where to start with my large tiles. I understand the norm is too start in the middle.

I hsve then pictures, please see the attached. Difficult to explain without pics

Would you guys run the tiles length ways or vertical. Length ways seem to give a small fiddle piece up to the wall. Will this look silly on the outer edge. also would you brickwork effect these tiles? As they large.

I know it's a difference of opinion on tiling but any reccomendations would be great.

Thankyou all for the help so far I'm finally on to tiling

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Upright

Attached Files:

3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Run lengthways

Attached Files:

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

definitely not brick bond, upright I say, find centre line of wall & see what works best, either half each side of line, you ideally want a full tile on outside edge of wall.

tore81 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Have a look at taking your centre line off the tray as well, not the whole wall. There's the screen to consider and the riser rail (if you're having one) which will all have a bearing on how the finished job looks. You can also consider putting the middle of the tile on the centre line to reduce the need for 'out of proportion' small tiles at the edges. This may require more tiles and cutting depending on how it works out.
    I would have thought stack bond personally and I think I'm with KIAB on vertical. For one thing, it will mean fewer horizontal grout lines to collect crud so easier to clean.

tore81 and KIAB like this.
  6. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Lay them horizontal in my opinion. I did in mine and it looks well IMAG1533.jpg

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now that doesn't looks too bad.:eek:

8. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thankyou guys appreciated.

Like Kiab mentioned I have got the reveal to think of and would be a lot easier using a full tile on the outer edge.

Might need a laser for this as the wall is out grr

Any good lasers you reccomend lads
    I'll some more measuring Moro.

9. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

If I keep the tiles to the centre of the tray I will be left with cuts to do on a door way reveal.

Will it be difficult to cut the outer edge to a reveal, is it best I leave this outer edge uncut.

10. WillyEckerslike

I almost always use tile trim nowadays for external corners. You might want to go with a chrome or brushed steel look which would offer a contrast to the dark tiles and might also match your screen hardware, riser rail etc. There's quite a range of colours for trim if you wanted to blend with the tiles rather than contrast. If you're going to have cut edges against the trim, I would allow for a grout line which will compensate for slight variances in the edge and won't be noticeable when complete.

A laser makes the world of difference to tiling as your setting out lines 'magically' reappear when you trowel out your adhesive rather than the pencil ones which get obliterated. I use a cross line mounted either on a tripod or a plasterboard pole which easily allows for both vertical and horizontal alignment. If it will get a lot of use, I know a few people who think the DeWalt 088 is good but it's not that cheap. I would get one if I hadn't already got my Leica.

Hope this helps? Willy.

tore81 likes this.
  11. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Is this one willy? Bit cheaper than the host.

Which is a bit naughty of SF

Attached Files:

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have a Bosch GLL3X Cross Line Laser level. has 3 lines, Vertical, Horizontal & one side at an angle of 90 degrees, great bit of kit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Professional-Cross-Laser-level/dp/B00K424IMK

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  13. WillyEckerslike

That's the one. Have a look on fleabay and cash converters for a decent second hand one - always a bit of a risk but you should save somewhere around £50 if that matters. Another thing with a cross line is you can use it to set out floor tiling and slopes as well by locking the pendulum(s) - it might flash to show it's out of level but so long as you know that....

14. WillyEckerslike

That looks good and at an appealing price. At least with Amazon you get reviews - have a look at the ratings of three stars or lower to find out what gripes people have with the item - what was bugging them might not matter for you. Some of the negative reviews are because the postman called when they were out and other b*ll*cks like that anyway.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have no complaints about the product, have use mine for coving, handrail up the stairs, skirting,tiling, sockets, etc.
    Got a good heavy camera tripod off Freecycle to use with it.:)

tore81 likes this.
  16. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I like that.

Down fall is tho I like the idea of the dewalt magnets and clip so I could buy the extension pole from the host. Easier to adjust hmm. Thankyou both always good to see other opinions.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    tore81 likes this.
  18. WillyEckerslike

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plasterboard pole, extension support pole are the same thing.:eek:

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  20. WillyEckerslike

I wondered. They're such a handy tool. Mine get used for a variety of different things. The most useful is to quickly cordon off an area of a room where I'm going to make a mess. Just roll some CLS into the edge of some polythene dust sheet and 'clamp' it to the ceiling allowing the excess to form a curtain. A few spring clamps to the poles and other fixtures and you're done. Quicker to do than type.