Tiling

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by gswainyboy, May 11, 2016.

1. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Hi.Fitting new kitchen in daughters flat. She wants Underground style white tiles (100mm x 200mm) in brickwork pattern between worktop and wall units.I am starting flush with the front edge of the worktop and working into corners. 3 questions :
    1/ Every other 'course' will be 1/2 tile with full tile above and below,how should I edge it neatly
    2/ Best way to cut this type of tile
    3/ Is the best way to spot each tile with adhesive in a full line to the corner then follow on with next row above

All suggestions gratefully received.Cheers,Graham

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Couple of ways to tackle this.

Mark a centre line along your worktop and eithe start with a full tile either side of centre a full tile on this.

Next way, if there is an extractor etc which needs tiles higher than the bottom of your wall units, then start from the centre of this as it's a 'feature' and is good for symmetry.

You have to layout and see what works best and gives you reasonable cuts in the corners.

If the above is not working then you can still get some 'symmetry' by starting 'off centre' by a quarter tile.

Tile up to your wall units, silicon internal corners and elsewhere use tile trim. Good luck :)

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

1/ You only need edging on exposed edges, say around a window or tilling the sill. Tiles to worktop will be sealed with silicone, tiles to wall units, either just grout or again silicone

2/ Electric wet cutter usually good, don't need to spend a fortune, look at SF site, I've got this one and its fine

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb336tcb-500w-tile-saw-230v/72648

3/ Not good practice to spot tiles. Lay on a full bed, notched with a spreader

http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-11i-adhesive-trowel-square-notched-6mm/2061c

Work on an area not too big until you feel more comfortable tiling. Helps a lot if the wall your tiling onto is nice and flat

4. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Thanks CGN and DIY Dave, I am ok on main wall over hob etc it is return walls along end of worktop I am not sure about.As these tiles are bevel edgeded will it look ok to start with 1/2 tile(ie thick) and bevelled (ie thin ) in tile trim one above the other,cheers again,Graham

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Will be fine Graham. The trim will hide the edges. I've recently just done a kitchen with the same tiles as your using. Used chrome round edge trim. Cream metro tile with grey grout. Simple, but looks good.

6. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

You might also want to think about where any cutouts are to be for sockets and switches...
    You don't want to be in a situation where you have just a sliver of tile on one side, or above/below...

Two ways to address it, but you need to plan your layout first.
    Either don't start with a full tile at one end, if that's what's needed, or consider having a wider grout line... For example, if using 2mm spacers, on, say, a 7 tile run, that's 14mm of grout line over the distance... if you have a 3mm grout line that means the 8th tile is 7mm further along the wall... That might be better suited for a socket or switch. Play with the variables. The secret is in the planning before you get the first tile on the wall!

Good luck.

Regards,

Cando.

7. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Thanks again CGN for advice and to you Cando. As you say,its all about planning particularly as she is 120 mile trot away.We live in Clacton on Sea,she is in Sutton,Surrey and i havnt managed to do it in less than three hours so far so 'nipping home cos ive forgotten something' isnt really an option.Anyway,thanks again to you all for the advice,Graham