Timber beam load calculation

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Angus Walker, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Angus Walker

Angus Walker New Member

I wonder if anyone can help. I've tried contacting local se firms but no one is interested. Some years ago my late wife (who was ill at the tme) wanted the boarded up opening between the front room and lounge reinstated so her brother in law came and took out the studwork. The original lintel was just two bits of 6 by 2 which he didn't think was strong enough so he replaced them with a single 9 by 9 softwood beam.
    I want to sell up, and tried to get a building regs regularisation certificate for the opening, but Haringey said they needed structural justification for the beam, which they could not provide (presumably because it is unconventional).
    Does anyone know of an se who might be able to give me some sort of certificate, or is there any way for me to produce a structural justification to send Haringey?
    (The beam rests on two 4 by 2 timbers each side, which go through the floor and rest on brick piers)