Timer and contactor

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by AlexGoode, Dec 20, 2014.

1. AlexGoode

AlexGoode Member

Hello, I am an apprentice and have been to a friends house today and have been looking at the lighting circuit of his driveway which comes on a timer, within the board, there is a type b 10A mcb feeding the timer and a contactor and i am wondering if i was to add 3 20W led light fittings to light up the path way, could you please explain the terminals and wiring of the contactor and timer. thanks in advance

2. camels toe

camels toe Member

Ask the sparks you are working with and he or she will be able to draw you a diagram and will give you a better understanding.

3. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Alex, you don't really give enough information to be able to advise. the timeswitch will be wired to control the coil of the contactor obviously. The load contacts will have a permanent live on one side and the switched feed to the lights on the other but without details of the contactor and timeswitch we can't give much more info.

Kind regards

BS

4. AlexGoode

AlexGoode Member

i think i have figured out the wiring but I am wanting two add 2 or 3 20W led lights outside and already have some 1.5mm square cable but it seems that for the lights down a driveway and at the end of the driveway- furthest light about 60 metres away, 2.5mm square swa cable has been used, is it right to use the two different sized cables or do i have to tap into the light radial circuit that is there already?thanks in advance

5. Bazza-spark

2.5 has probably been used to limit the voltage drop over that length. You would need to work out the voltage drop on the cable length you wish to add especially if making the run longer.

Don't forget as this work is outside it will need to be RCD protected and is notifiable, and as an apprentice you probably won't be Part P registered.

You really need some help from a local qualified sparky who can show you the correct way to do the job. I wouldn't suggest you do it yourself as by your questions you are not competent to carry out this work unsupervised.

Kind regards

BS

6. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Regulation No.?

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It won't need rcd protection unless there are sockets involved and it won't be notifiable unless it's a new circuit!

8. Bazza-spark

Sorry guys, had a bad day. You are right abouth the RCD protection, but in Wales garden lighting is still notifiable. The rules were relaxed in England but not over here.

Kind regards

BS