Titan drill press

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by TonyMS, Nov 19, 2012.

1. TonyMS

TonyMS New Member

I have a 500 W Titan drill press. On  startup under load the motor just hums without turning. With no load (drive belts slackened) it spins ok. Can anyone advise me how to fix this?

2. Engineer02

Engineer02 Member

Titan 240v drill press I take it.
    Al I can think of is that there is a start capacitor/circuit fault along with (and/or) a possible coil winding failure, hence it moving when not under load, which is U/S, but, if motor a sealed unit, your probably going to need a new motor.
    (not sure if cap start used)

3. TonyMS

TonyMS New Member

Yes, 240V.

It has a capacitor on the outside, which looks fine. I can probably dismantle the motor, though I'm not sure what I'm looking for

4. Engineer02

Engineer02 Member

The only physical things you can check for is loose connections or corroded wiring, obvious damage etc...

The only way to test the motor properly is by carrying out insulation, continuity and isolation tests and test the capacitance value of cap, but doubtfull you have the test equipment to do that.
    Also check all earthing points (if visible ) are solid and secure.

The "cheapest" first route of attack would be to find out the value in farads of the capacitor and it's voltage rating, scour the Maplin website and obtain similar and change that first.
    I'm not saying this is the final solution but it will eliminate the capacitor,

Also if you can find any identifying marks, wattage etc.. on the motor, scour the web for a motor.

Sorry can't be more helpfull but remote fault finding never easy.

5. Crowmark

Crowmark New Member

SOrry for asking the obvious question, but is the spindle free to rotate by hand? Is there an intermediate pulley and is this also free to turn by hand?

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

This post is 15 months old, he's proberly junked it by now and bought a decent one.:p