Titan TTB278SDS 5kg SDS+ Drill 240VProduct Code: 97533 WARNING!!

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by TrustNige, Jan 25, 2014.

1. TrustNige

TrustNige New Member

Hi all
    I've joined to warn anyone using this drill to drill cores (lots of reviews saying that they did at the product page) 'cos mine just threw me around like a rag doll when the clutch failed on me. I've had massive bruises on my forearm and just getting the feeling back in my fingers. Not good.

Screwfix will not help with this because the drill is only designed to core up to 32 mm as advertised but I know in the real world many of us do. My old Titan is still doing the business after three years and 30 bathroom fits a year under it's belt so I didn't expect anything less from the new shiny one.

I bought the 5Kg thinking it would be beefy but it is seriously flawed. Had it been a bent shaft or burnt out bushes I could have accepted screwfixes attitude, I have been a naughty boy, but the clutch shouldn't have failed and using a bigger core should have simply triggered the clutch all the sooner.

If like me you earn your own living and need to be fit and well don't risk it with this drill.

Has anyone else got one and of so what's your experience been like?

Before you tell me 'you get what you pay for' etc, please save your time, I know that already. Most of my tools are DeWalt but even these aren't supposed to be used to core 4" holes according to the specs I've read. No , I'm not complaining about the poor quality EXCEPT that its such an important safety item. Frankly I'd rather the motor burnt out than the clutch failed.

Screwfix say "Only a dedicated Core drill should be used" but oddly they don't sell one, they do sell plenty of bits though, perhaps they know what people are doing with the drills and bits they buy and just use it as an excuse when the stuff hits the fan (or the plumber hits the concrete)

Over to you...

Nige

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I have one of the old Titan SDS drills and have used this to core drill a 125mm hole for fan ducting (on more than one occasion too) Never failed yet. Years ago, I had a Metabo sds drill . Nice drill but the clutch on that seemed to have been set to far too much torque before it operated. Unless you were gripping the drill really tightly and were braced against something solid, it could spin you round like a rag doll when the drill bit snagged. ;);)

3. TrustNige

TrustNige New Member

Hi John
    Yup the old ones seemed to be better made, prior to this one screwing up the chuck adapter failed and the hammer action was iffy. I've used it twice. Crappy

4. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

They do have a few core drills...http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/corded-diamond-core-drills/cat830820 , all of them capable of doing 4inch cores.

5. TrustNige

TrustNige New Member

Thanks RW, I did see these advertised but they never seem to have them in stock (well none of the reasonably priced ones anyway) seems like a ploy to get you spending more for less. No way I'd value a sparky over a dewalt.

Don't know about anyone else but I find the search function is often hit and miss.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

When you say the hammer action was iffy, are you using hammer with the core drill?

7. Robert Bancroft

Robert Bancroft New Member

8. Robert Bancroft

Robert Bancroft New Member

Yup just happened to me, I will as lucky and got my hand/arm out the way smartish. I mentioned to Screwfix but nothing but a fixed gaze as a response. I too was doing 4" core, lesson learned but if improperly used the clutch should do its thing. Don't do large core with this drill if you like your arm intact.

9. Vtlkvtlkvtlk

Vtlkvtlkvtlk New Member

I had the same happened to me yesterday, doing 152mm ducting hole :) year ago i did 107mm and 50mm without problems. I think it will be wise idea to give the drill breaks every 5 minutes. My roll was quite spectacular, it was inside kitchen cabinet, remember seeing a spark inside the drill, then roll and now scratch and bruise over my eyebrow . Managed to finish last 30-50 mm with small rechargeable non clutch drill. Over all i was surprised I could finish 152mm through 300mm brick wall. I wonder if it is possible to repair the clutch?