Titan TTB355CHN Circlip missing

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Hamsolo, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Hamsolo

Hamsolo New Member

Hi there,

I recently went to examine the chain on the saw and noticed that there is no circlip retaining the motorchain sprocket?

I can't see it coming off as the housing holds the sprocket on, but it may wear in time..

Should there be a circlip on this and if so, where can I get another one from?

Cheers
    Paul.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shaft might be threaded in opposite direction of rotation, could be a set screw holding on sprocket, is there actually a circlip groove in the shaft.

Got a photo.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  3. Hamsolo

Hamsolo New Member

Yes there is a circlip groove and the sprocket has a spring behind it to keep it pressed against the circlip.

Attached Files:

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I can see a groove on end of shaft, but without actually seeing it up close, it's difficult to understand how sprocket is attached, if it going to come, pretty sure it would have done when first used.

5. Hamsolo

Hamsolo New Member

As I said, it presses against the plastic casing and as such won't come off, but I am concerned if it will wear the casing over time..

Some other photos to show the circlip groove.

Attached Files:

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Found this,& it clearly shows a circlip on end of shaft at 50 seconds onwards, presume fitting method hasn't changed.
    so if missing then the will be movement in sprocket, risk of snapping chain as it will be misaligned if sprocket is able to move in use.

7. Hamsolo

Hamsolo New Member

Ahhh cool..Okay a new circlip it is....

Thanks for the help!

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No spares available for these 'own brand' tools but, doesn't mean they're poor quality and often they're excellent value for money

If just a regular circlip, then should be easy enough to replace, after deciding on size

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Also you can sometime find a flat washer under the circlip, depending what it's retaining.

10. Hamsolo

Hamsolo New Member

Took it back to the depot to get another circlip and they said it was still under warranty so boom!

Replacement arriving tomorrow but might consider the washer behind the circlip in the future to prevent further wear.

Thanks again guys!
    Paul

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't fit a washer if there isn't one, the circlip on saw might be extra large to take the place of a washer.

12. Hamsolo

Hamsolo New Member

Ahh okay,
    Let's see how the next one goes!

Cheers
    Paul

13. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Had this happen to a tree pruner, the circlip came off and, of course, the chain came off. I was lucky, I cleaned off all of the sawdust and chippings from around the chain drive on the saw and cover, and I found the circlip in the detritus. I suggest you take a look.