To pile or not to pile...

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by James Grocott, Aug 1, 2014.

1. James Grocott

James Grocott New Member

Hi

We are looking to have a fairly small summer room on the back of our house built (about 3.4m x 3.4m internal), however after having the foundations dug it has been discovered by building regs that our house is on piled foundations. I have spoken to the original structural engineer who has confirmed this. He said that if the summer room is brick up to the cill then it will need piling too. I have a few questions... Is there an alternative to 'brick up to cill level' that wouldn't require piled foundations? Is there a cheaper alternative to piled foundations? They are quoting me about 6-8k for four piles. This all seems very expensive for a small room which in itself is only costing £13k.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Has the subject of a raft been floated. ( no pun intended :)), it may be an option, though I fear if it was your SE would I'm sure have suggested it, I'm sure he would also have suggested another form of construction if it was possible, though I'm sure a timber frame construction would work if calculated properly.:)

3. Have you looked into, Durabase

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

raft found, out of the ground on blocks, 6'' timber kit on top - why does every builder assume everyone lives in a hurricane zone

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Blimey, found post no. 2.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. James Grocott

James Grocott New Member

Just got original structural engineers drawings today. It looks a really close thing. Our house is piled, but our garage and next door neighbours house isn't.