To post or not to post!

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by MrBmwTech, Jul 19, 2015.

1. MrBmwTech

MrBmwTech Member

Hi everyone, I'm starting a fence project that divides the two properties. My issue is that I have 100cmx100cmx2.4m fence posts to set and was going to post Crete them in but after digging two test holes I've found the concrete sewer is about 100mm below the surface so do I use a metal base plate and drill into concrete of sewer(Bearing in mind I have no idea how thick it is!) and then post Crete over the top for good measure or move fence over to miss sewer (would prob be about .5 meter into our land) and get proper depth (.6m) if so should I put the posts right next to it and post Crete around it or leave a gap?

FYI the previous post is over the sewer and appears to be concrete set?

2. Do not use the sewer to build the fence off. Therefore, move the fence.

The risk here, is that usually the fence denote the legal boundary line of each property.
    Unless the position of the new fence, being 0.6m into one property, is detailed accurately on the title deeds of each property, then years down the line, one property will loose 0.6m strip of land as it will be assumed that the fence was the boundary.

If it is not detailed accurately, the property which gained the stip of land could make an application of adverse possession after 12 years (or something else, do not know too much about this area of law).

MrBmwTech likes this.
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

CPM is right, after 10 years it will be deemed as the legal boundary, so move the fence the other side of the pipe. :D:D:D

MrBmwTech likes this.
  4. MrBmwTech

MrBmwTech Member

And too update just dug up next to sewer and it's only 300mm down to what I guess is the foundations (first post next to kitchen wall then continues down garden over manhole cover!) it's a small garden so just trying to keep some inches! Currently the fence is offset to my neighbours but this is due to a old Holly bush on the middle line of the property's which they requested to be removed and fence realigned when we bought!

5. Well then keep it up close to theirs if possible or you will lose land in the long run. If you remove or have removed the holly bush thats better for you.

MrBmwTech likes this.
  6. MrBmwTech

MrBmwTech Member

Seems clear what I need to do the first post next to house will be set 300mm down and screwed to wall the next one will be next to sewer and can be 600 down then as I work down the garden I maybe able to bring it back in line! Thanks all for your input!

7. rd1

rd1 Member

I have heard of this before and apparently one way of overcoming the land problem is to string a wire fence (three strands ) at the boundary line over the sewer and then place your fence on the inside where convenient. This would then preserve the land situation. Slightly more cost but minimal to keep the boundary intact.

MrBmwTech likes this.