Toe & Heeling

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by jambreo, Aug 11, 2014.

1. jambreo

jambreo New Member

One of our UPVC windows has pulled out of alignment on the hinge side at the bottom.
    Just wondering is there a theory behind where to place packers to pull it back in?
    As you look at the window from the outside of the house:
    The hinge is on the right, the lock on the left
    The sash has pulled away from the frame in the bottom right hand corner

Any advise appreciated (into the problem that is!!)

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You need new friction hinges.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Biffo likes this.
  3. Supra

Supra Member

4. jambreo

jambreo New Member

Thanks for the replies but I don't need new hinges.
    I just need to re-align the glass. Its a 7 year old Barrett House and the windows were put in by Muppets and they are not under warranty (I have looked into this and can assure you they are not under warranty)
    Barratts sent round their maintenance guy (as a gesture of goodwill) and he re-packed out a number of windows which has solved the non sealing problem on those windows. He said they weren't packed out properly from when they were installed and if any more fail to seal re-pack them out. He showed me how to do it and I am competent at DIY so am happy to do it myself. I just want to get my head around where to put extra packing based on the fact that the hinge side bottom corner is pulling away from the frame. Is there any theory behind where the packers go based on where the problem is.

5. Supra

Supra Member

It's difficult to understand exactly what the problem is when you can't see it.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Sorry, but Toeing & heeling has the purpose of squareing up and raising the handle side of the window. That is its only purpose.

It will not bring in the casement frame if it is not pulling in to the outer frame.

The outer end of the hinge when shutting, should locate into a v-groove attached at the bottom corner of the outer frame. This is what helps pull and keep in the hinge side of the window casement.
    If your hinge is slack it will not pull in tight(and could miss the v-groove altogether).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Biffo likes this.
  7. Biffo

Biffo Member

new hinges 100%