Toilet connector leak

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by yetanotherDIYer, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Hi guys,

What seems to be an easy problem is becoming a pain. My toilet has been leaking so I removed the old connector and replaced it with a new one. Please see attached image (shows my connector as well). Although the toilet is raised a little bit, the toilet's connector remains slightly lower than the soil pipe (not ideal!). I was hoping the rubber would prevent waste from coming back down. In fact I tried fitting one other rubber over the toilet's pipe too. I still get small leaks. Is there a better way of doing this? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  3. Thanks KIAB. Link works just fine :) Bought one of those in fact, and it was too short. And the smallest flexi available was too long. So I took the one in the picture and cut it to the right size.

Is having the toilet connector lower than the pipe a no no? I'm avoiding raising the toilet further because it requires drilling additional holes on the wall tiles close to where the current holes are. I might crack the tiles.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Is the toilet outlet enamel clean and perfectly round? I once had a line of 'enamel drip' at the bottom of an outlet(manufacturing mishap), running front to back. Never would seal properly.

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

is the soil pipe coming into the room several inch's long ,and is it angled downward on its way out ? if so ,and I assume its a plastic pipe ,you can cut a few inches off ,taking it back to a lower level. then use a flexible extendable pan connector. see screwfix codes 45410 or 71219

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  6. @Mr. Handyandy Just pulled it out and double checked. It's perfectly smooth.

@terrymac It's a metal pipe (quite thick too, one of the old ones). It comes out horizontally. Attached another picture.

Attached Files:

7. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Is it leaking where new meets old or where Pan connector meets toilet?

Remember you don’t put grease on the pan spigot or connector

8. Mr. Handyandy

Once you've got your adapter pushed right onto the toilet, pull it back off about 1".

9. @C&W Plumbing & Heating - Leaking where pan connector meets toilet. I didn't put grease.

Attached Files:

10. Mr. Handyandy

To be honest, it slopes toward the toilet, and that is not good(standing water/waste).

DannyDoLittle likes this.
  11. Ok will try.

No :(

12. Tried pulling it a bit as suggested. No joy. I was wrong in saying the fall isn't too bad. It clearly shows a big fall when I butt the toilet up against the soil pipe. It will need to be raised by ... wait for it... at least 2 inches! Why on earth they put the soil too high is beyond me. It's cast iron in a brick wall. I'm looking around for toilets now. A lot of them seem to be 185cm high (floor to waste connector). Need at least 190cm. Sunday is going to be fun :)

Attached Files:

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

14. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Clean the wc spigot,it has to be in new condition to seal.

Then use a mcalpine flexi wc connector Pan-Connectors-McAlpine-Flexible-WC-Connector-WC-F26R-M0361_893334_00.jpg

15. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

just to add,the flexi pipe above will get you out of trouble but the permanent solution would be an alteration to the soil pipe or the wc raised.

16. Thanks everyone. I think I'll go with the raising option. Adjusting the soil pipe sounds like a huge job.

17. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

What about a frame and hung WC ... it will get the pan 2" higher. Some exrtra work to then box it in and decorate but possibly easier than realigning cast iron.

18. DannyDoLittle

DannyDoLittle Active Member

Replacing the soil pipe isn't as bad as it might seem or sound.

Just done mine on Saturday, the whole thing was cast iron and had seen better days, so from the main drain in the concrete base floor up to the main toilet and the vent has gone..

In its place stands a brand new PVC stack, minimal bends (2x 90 degree) and 2 T-pieces (upstairs & downstairs loo), & an internal AAV, also fitted the 40mm to 110mm boss kit and ran the bathroom sink & bath waste to it.. all plumbed in, all joints solvent welded.. took around 7 hours, but now everything is brand new.

It really is worth doing, it's not as bad as you think.

KIAB likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As DDL as said, changing soil pipe is a fairly easy job.

20. Thanks again everyone for your input. Raised the toilet and it's been fine so far. For anyone facing the same issue let me summarize it for you,

- Fix it properly. Lower the pipe.
    - Get an offset (angled) or flexible connector. Doesn't solve the underlying problem of height difference but makes a better fit.
    - Raise the toilet. Make sure you attach the toilet firmly so it doesn't wobble and weaken the connection through time.
    - Get a new toilet with a raised outlet. Something like this one. Standard floor to centre of outlet distances are 180-190mm. The one linked comes with 225.