Toilet Distance from vent

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Renovate77, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Renovate77

Renovate77 New Member

Hi

I am new to this and have tried to check building regulations and just got more confused.

I have a main vented stack going from the hole in the floor all the way up and out of my roof. I want to put two toilets one into each our master suites one toilet is 3 meters from the vented stack and the other continues a further 3 meters so in total the max distance of horizontal pipe on the stack branch is 6 meters. I understand I need a fall inline with the regs but I cannot gain a clear message as to if I need an additional vent. If I do can I run it up to the loft and horizontally back to the main stack and tee it in?

As I said new to this so any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Renovate77

Renovate77 New Member

Thanks for your reply, that will make my life easier. :)

Do you know if there is a regulation distance or what is it that would dictate the need for an additional vent?

I understand what the vent will do and what it helps prevent however I am keen to understand when you should install one.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

But,the maximum distance is 3mtrs from a stack for a single toile I think, it's all to do with solids & gradients, but I just can't remember the figures.:(

Look at WC manifold system,but I can't find the regs about it.

5. Renovate77

Renovate77 New Member

So looking at the regs and if I understand it correctly, page 9 diagram 3 it shows a WC with min 18mm fall total 6M away on a unvented pipe. I have also looked at page 10 section 1.20 and it tells me to check table 2 and diagram 3. Having checked these I can now see that I do not need an additional vent.

Please correct me if I have read or understood this incorrectly.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think the 6M limit is only for a single WC?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sorry it's 6mtrs.:oops:

Regs are confusing, getting ventilated & unventilated mixed up.:rolleyes:

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

My building services book mentions to use a 50mm vent pipe (for discharge pipe 75-100mm).

The 50mm pipe needs to be combined in common vent, this can be carried to outside air or connect to stack above spillover level.

The system is referred to a Fully Vented One-pipe System commonly found in factories, schools and hospitals where there are a number of sanitary appliances.

9. Renovate77

Renovate77 New Member

I cannot find any regs for two WC and have found loads of images and general conversations about multiple WC on one horizontal branch and assume it is ok to do. I don't see what the difference is for one, two or three WC on a branch will be as long as the last one is no more than 6mtrs and everything has the correct fall. What do you think?

10. Renovate77

Renovate77 New Member

I thought it was just me, I just wish they would write them in plain English and provide more pictures.

11. Renovate77

Renovate77 New Member

image.jpeg Thought I would try and draw (not to scale) what I was hoping to do.

What do you think?

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You need to be careful with connection to your horizontal pipe run & the branch you use, so when second toilet is used, solids,paper,etc don't get trapped on first toilet branch.
    Wonder if the WC manifold system idea would be better for first toilet were they use a manifold branch,so everything drops in to the pipe.

upload_2016-4-22_22-1-56.jpeg

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

All I know is sh!t runs down hill. :)

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And your in the sh!t if it don't.:)

15. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Ventilation is only necessary when more than 8 WC's on the horizontal branch according to G.J Blower (Plumbing and Mechanical Services - Book 2)
    With access left at the end via T according to Fig 9.7.

Which presumambly is left for rodding.

Johnst1a likes this.
  16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

R.D. Treolar shows it basically the same.

17. DanielQ

DanielQ Member

I'm installing a downstairs bathroom 8 meters away from the soil pipe. I am a bit confused about the regulations.

If it is a single WC the maximum distance is 6 meters .

If it is a bathroom with shower, sink and toilet 15 meters?

Thank you

18. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Believe you are in Scotland though so is it the same regs for you?