Toilet inlet valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by tore81, Apr 26, 2017.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all

The inlet valve seem to shut sharpish and then you hear the pipes shake in the bathroom.

As I have already had the floor up I have noticed the pipes aren't fixed to the side of joist are just floating.

Looking to replace the toilet soon but just sounds quite loud.

I don't have a shut off valve on the toilet so maybe worth installing one of them as the pressure is set to high?

Any recommendations would be great cheers

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Check you have the correct insert in the valve inlet, sounds like your on a high pressure (mains) inlet and the reducer has not been fitted

tore81 likes this.
  3. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

If you have an old style ball valve check it has a small orifice normally white or clear, if it's red it's for low pressure, alternatively fit a decent ball valve and you can also restrict the flow with a ball o fix

tore81 likes this.
  4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

That just addresses the problem and creates a slow filling cistern, better to cure the cause. Thought you said you were a real plumber in the other post!

5. G&W Plumbing & Heating

I thought addressing the problem is the objective?

You have water hammer because the cistern is filling to fast causing the ball valve to shut to fast, an adjusted ball o fix acts a flow restricter & if you saw the pipes swinging in the breeze why didn't you clip them you doughnut

6. just pumps

I`d rather fit a shock adjuster to cure the cause and as for calling a non plumber poster a doughnut well ..........

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Doesn't the 'doughnut' fit between cistern and pan on a CC toilet ...... nothing to do with inlet valve :p

just pumps likes this.
  8. just pumps

Just to be clear the shock adjuster fitting comes when the correct inlet insert hasn`t cured the problem which it will do in most cases.

9. r18rws

r18rws Member

I have the same issue but no access to the pipework that is loose.

My fill valve are not ball valve though. Might try the isolation valve to see if that makes any difference - although means a slow fill. Otherwise it could be a shock arrestor.
    Edit - its fluidmaster - I have high pressure but not sure what valve seal it is - its the screwfix multi flow one I think

Watching the thread with interest - post back with an update please.

Also any other suggestions that I can jump on too - hijacking the thread a bit :)

10. lewis jackson

lewis jackson New Member

Sounds like loose pipes, alternatively change the ball valve with a restrictor to slow the inlet of the water

tore81 likes this.
  11. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Fit a decent float valve, they all come with flow restrictors in the form of a spiralling piece of plastic that pushes inside the inlet