Toilet pan connector tightness

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by diyer12, May 29, 2017.

1. diyer12

diyer12 New Member

Just in the process of installing a hang from the wall toilet. I am not intending to use the 90 degree soil pipe connector that comes with the kit as the waste from the washing machine connects to the soil connector so there is a boss on it of rotate connection that isn't on the connector that came with the kit. There is a straight pipe that connects between the 90 degree connector and the toilet pan, but when I insert this into the existing connector it feels like the rubber seal isn't very tight around the pipe. I can feel resistance when I push it on and it seems to seal all the way round, but doesn't feel very tight. I'm not sure how tight this should be - can anyone advise?

I've been looking at alternative straight connectors that might have a larger diameter but there are not many about at the length I need.

Thanks.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

post pics of parts ? all joints should be fairly tight ,compressing the seals, if it feels loose it don't sound right to me.

3. diyer12

diyer12 New Member

Thanks. I've attached (or tried to, hopefully it's worked) the photo's. The first one is of the frame against the wall and the existing soil pipe which looks pretty standard to me. The second photo shows the two pieces that came with the kit - the 90 degree soil pipe and the horizontal extension piece. When I push the horizontal extension piece into the existing white 90 degree soil pipe it is a good fit, but doesn't feel like a particularly tight fit. I'm just not sure how tight a fit it should be. When I compare the diameters of the black extender it is slightly smaller than the toilet pan diameter. The toilet pan diameter is about 100mm and the black extender 90mm so 10mm difference so not sure if the rubber gaskets can cope with that range of diameter.

Attached Files:

4. diyer12

diyer12 New Member

second phot didn't attached due to file size. Here is is attached...

Attached Files:

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

cheers. ,the elbowed pan connector ( old white one ) has been used before and the black rubber seal has retained the form of the old pan. never a good idea to try to re use .buy a new one and you will find the black pipe will be a much tighter fit.

6. diyer12

diyer12 New Member

OK. It's only about 2 years old but to be sure i'm happy to replace. So the 90mm diameter black straight piece should be OK to use with a normal replacement elbowed pan connector? I don't need to buy a specific size? Cheers

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

the internal diameter of the seals are usually 75/80mm and of course will stretch fit to a lot wider. you need to make sure the length is OK ,so it will reach the height of the pan outlet, some are shorter than others .

8. diyer12

diyer12 New Member

Great. You're supposed to cut the black straight connector to length to suit. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to get a specific size. Cheers for your help.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

cheers, don't forget after you cut it to smooth off inside ,and file a chamfer on outside edge ,will go into pan connector seal without damaging it ,and a bit of washing up liquid helps greatly. are you fitting pan direct onto frame and then making good around ,or facing /finishing the front of the frame then fitting the pan ? before cutting the length of the pipes give that consideration.