Toilet plumbing looks dodgy...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by agar43, Sep 19, 2017.

1. agar43

agar43 New Member

Please could someone in the know comment on this? I have just had a new toilet installed and the waste pipe (plastic) is much smaller than the existing waste outflow. I am probably not describing this well, so please see attached photo and comment on whether this looks legit. It is sealed with what looks like silicone, around the smaller, new, plastic pipe which is coming directly from the new toilet. Many thanks. IMG_7007.JPG

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

the white pipe is an angled pan connector ,made for joining a WC pan into your drain .the top part of the drain in the floor ,which is much wider ,is the collar and below it is the pipe ,which is much smaller diameter. in between the pan connector and the pipe is a rubber seal ,a triple fin seal usually.as long as the seal is properly connected it should be fine. I can't see any silicone at all ?

3. agar43

agar43 New Member

Ah thanks terrymac - other aspects of the job have been done badly and i wasn't sure about this, but if it doesn't look obviously dodgy I'm happy to be reassured.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

shine a torch down there ,you should be able to see the seal ,to put your mind at rest.

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Two things
    1. Good shout posting a photo straight off. Most people try to describe a situation they're unsure of and don't know some of the terminology leaving contributors who want to help confused and asking for pictures anyway.
    2. If that seal wasn't working it would almost certainly smell quite grim (all the time - not just after you've used it which can happen to the best of us) as it's the water retained in the toilet which prevents the odours from escaping.

6. Hi Agar.

It would certainly benefit from some sort of collar for aesthetic reasons... Almost certainly, tho', it does have a rubber gasket in there to seal the white pipe against the wider cast one.

Where's the silicone, tho'? If that's on any other join - say the white pipe to the pan - then that's wrong. Proper pan connectors should seal fully with their own built-in gaskets. Use of sili often suggests a small leak which they couldn't sort any other way.

Photo of sili part?

7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Probably is the correct fitting and is a good seal, just looks a bit ugly

S'pose the only way to neaten up would be to cut off the collar with an angle grinder as it's now redundant with the plastic fittings

More work, more mess, slight chance of cracking soil pipe ?, may be cast or clay, dunno probably cast iron, dunno.

Ugly yes
    Functional yes
    Cheapest option yes

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

10. You got in there before KIAB, Teabreask :D

(I'd still like to know where sili has been used on this fit, tho'...)

11. agar43

agar43 New Member

Many thanks all - it leaked at the weekend and having to get it all re-done... the problem area wasn't quite as bad as the fact the toilet wasn't at all secured... shocking work all round.