Toilet slight leak after flushing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dexterwolf, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

There is a slight leak from the toilet this is after it has been flushed a long time. Someone said it might be either the ball valve or the Flapper ?. My toilet is a push button one does anyone know what I need to buy or how to repair this if possible.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

do you mean water continues to run into the pan, after flushing ,for a short time and then stops ? or is it continuing non stop ,running perpetually ? if it is the former that's not unusual and I wouldn't worry. if its the latter it could be
    a few things ,some you have mentioned already.

3. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

It is a slight dribble into the pan very slight . But if I am on a water meter I don't want a huge bill

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

if it is constant ,and you have not confirmed that ,so assume it is,either the cistern is overfilling and water is running via internal overflow, or the seal on the flush valve to flush valve base is not sealing .could also be a problem with the drop valve not moving freely but this is less likely. is the push button operating via a cable to the valve ? picture of inside cistern may help.

5. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

It is a little trickle constantly. It is a push button on the top leading to a cylinder type thing .

6. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Easiest thing to do initially would be to lift the top of the cistern and see whether or not the water level is at the top of the overflow.

terrymac likes this.
  7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

take pic and post here.the cylinder thing is the flush valve assembly.most can be rotated half turn and lifted out to inspect the seal .but turn water off first.