Toilet smells

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lambfoot, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Lambfoot

Lambfoot New Member

I'm no scientist, all my research is via Google, so if it's rubbish, blame them. Apparently toilet smells are a mix of methane and hydrogen sulphide, both of which are heavier than air. So why do we fit ventilation fans at high level? Would they be more effective at floor level?

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Didn't google explain ventilation.??

The fan is to disperse damp air (steam) not smell.

The traps on your tolilet/bath/sink/shower are there to stop smells.

3. Lambfoot

Lambfoot New Member

I can find nothing about this in Google.

Damp air is the problem in bathrooms, I'm talking about lavatories.

Traps are there to prevent smells from sewers, what about smells before they get there?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Consider changing your diet! :eek::D:D

5. Lambfoot

Lambfoot New Member

I normally eat smart-arses for breakfast, is that what's causing the smells.
    Perhaps I should have posted on the electrician's forum?

6. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

Methane is lighter than air with a SG of 0.55 , whereas Hydrogen Sulphide is heavier than air at SG 1.18.

Ventilation fans are, as stated above, to expel moist air. Water vapour has an SG of 0.62, so is lighter than air. Hence high level ventilation fans.

Traps are positive stops to the ingress of gases, whether lighter or heavier than air. With an effective trap seal, no gas, whether lighter than or heavier than air, can get past the trap unless it is at a higher pressure than the air pressure on the other side of the trap.

7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Not to scare you off or anything, but today I spent the day rodding and jetting the stack and drains after an internal flood.

We could smell drains inside for a few days, but didn't see any urgency in identifying it, but this morning the downstairs loo overflowed. It's a sight and smell that you won't forget!

The stack was blocked at the bottom, I believe it was caused by the dislodging of 'stuck' matter inside the pipe though the coarse of works here lately.

Again, not trying to frighten you, but I'd check you've not got a blocked stack and all inspection chambers are completely clear.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Far worse is a blocked Macerator pumping sh** up through the bath, basin, not a pretty sight & the smell. upload_2017-8-21_18-52-39.gif
    Some years ago, a friend ignored my advice on moving a manhole when building a extension, they just replaced the cover with a double sealed screwed down one.
    For several years it resided in the utilty room causing no problems, until one day they came home & found effluent ankle deep, throughout the dinning,kitchen,utilty & one other room.
    The force of the effluent had lifted/ripped the cover & frame off the brickwork of the manhole, badly damaged the floor, the sight was stomach churning & the smell lingered for months.

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Take deep breaths, they will go quicker.

Kind regards

10. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

[QUOTE="KIAB, post: 1531206, Far worse is a blocked Macerator pumping sh** up through the bath, basin, not a pretty sight & the smell. View attachment 18984
    [/QUOTE]
    Ask yourself how is that possible mate, answer is it was badly installed OR a NRV gave way.

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Or a bad curry the night before!

12. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Which is basically a liquid slurry when it exits your body.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Most curry restaurants I've been to it's already a slurry when it enters your body.

Joe95 likes this.
  14. Warm air rises.

Ceiling or high-mounted fans will remove steam and 'bathroom' smells faster when mounted in these positions since, even if the actual gases involved are slightly heavier than air, they'll still be carried 'high' by the warmth gradient in that room.

I guess.