Toilet troubles!!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Finetunemoon, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Finetunemoon

Finetunemoon New Member

IMG_8586.JPG IMG_8191.JPG IMG_8192.JPG
    Hi I have water trickling in to the bowl from the front of my toilet and I'd like to have a go at fixing it, after googling it a lot of people are saying to replace the flapper, but I don't think my toilet has a flapper so anyone no what needs replacing I've attached some photos hopefully someone can help me :)

Please excuse the state of the toilet,

Thanks
    Kevin

2. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Member

Hello Kevin.

Two reasons I can think of that water continues to trickle in to a pan.

The most common is when the ballcock valve doesn't shut off when it should, so the cistern continues to fill up beyond the 'max' level. The excess water then flows over the ridge inside the syphon - the large white-bodied, blue-capped thing in the middle of your cistern - and trickles in to your pan

It is rare for this syphon part to actually leak by having a crack in it, but possibly (second reason) the seal (a rubber washer) where it passes through the bottom of the cistern could be damaged or something.

The most likely cause is the first one - ballcock valve allowing a continuous trickle through. See the blue spigot on the top - does water continue to trickle out of there when the cistern is full?

In your second picture the overflow pipe (bottom-left of pic) looks as tho' it's nowhere near being breached by the water level. Is it always like this - with the water level being over an inch below the top tip - or is it that you've just flushed the loo and it hasn't fully refilled?

Can you tell us - does water continue to trickle out the ballcock valve? And where is the cistern's water level relative to the overflow pipe when it's doing this trickling?

Finetunemoon likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Finetunemoon likes this.
  4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And stop putting in the blue cistern blocks they make the internal seals perish a lot quicker

Finetunemoon likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well spotted, biggest killer of flush valves.:eek:

Finetunemoon likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The number of things the public get persuaded to do that is such a no, no. One of my pet hates is the caustic sink unblocker, just the thing you need to pour over your hands and sleeves when it fails to unblock the u-bend !

Shake and Vac - thats another one, throw it over the carpet and then vacuum it back up

Finetunemoon likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't get me started on Shake and Vac...:mad:

Finetunemoon likes this.
  8. Finetunemoon

Finetunemoon New Member

Thanks for your reply I've attached a pic of the tank full and yes it's an inch underneath the overflow pipe and still running

Attached Files:

9. Finetunemoon

Finetunemoon New Member

I only put this in as we use to put one of the ones that you fix over the side of the toilet and we had an incident where it got flushed and blocked the toilet :( but lesson learned i won't use them any more :)

10. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Shake and Vac should never be used if you have a dog,it gets into the fur and causes all kinds of skin problems.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Try the one that stick to the toilet bowl, the pipes I've seen block who those hang on rim holder, things should be banned.:mad:

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And cats.

Remember my mum using it many years ago, she sprinkle it on carpet barely a minute later budgie started coughing & fell off perch dead.:eek:
    Shake & Vac use to start my asthma off.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Interesting about cats - wasn't somebody at the witts end recently ;)

14. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

AND that blue is impossible to get off your hands!!! not good if last job b4 you go on holiday!

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You can get some challenging looks from coppers if you have that blue dye or PU glue residue on your hands because it is very similar to anti theft marking dyes.

16. Finetunemoon

Finetunemoon New Member

Hi pink panther did you see my reply with the picture about 4 or 5 replies up? :)

17. Hi FTM.

PP is permanently indisposed...

Ok, see the 'syphon'? That's the main middle component with the blue top. Right, if you try and look 'sideways' at that device you'll see that it is effectively an inverted 'U' bend. Yes?

One end of that U goes in to the pan below and t'other has the wider part with the plastic diaphragm inside - the thing that pulls the water up inside when the lever is pulled.

Ok, look at the top part of that inverted 'U' - the bend part. Can you see the lowest part of that 'tube'? Where is the cistern's water level in relation to that?

If the water level inside the cistern rises up inside that 'wide' leg of the syphon (as it would do normally) until it approaches that top 'bend' part and then rises a bit more, then it'll trickle over that bend and down in to the pan. So, check that level and see if it's doing this.

If it is, the solution is to adjust your inlet ball-cock so's the water level stops just short of this top bend.

If, however, the water is nowhere near that top bend but is still trickling in to the pan, then I guess it must be a faulty seal (rubber washer) where the syphon goes though the cistern floor. That's a cistern-offski job...

18. Finetunemoon

Finetunemoon New Member

Thanks Devils advocate for your help, today I've changed the ball cock for a new one :) and it's done the trick!! £6.95 and jobs a gooden!! :) well pleased that I managed to change it myself too

Thanks again everyone

Kev

19. That is what is called a 'result'.

Niiiiice :)