Toilet waste leaking

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by IanP56, Jun 24, 2015.

1. IanP56

IanP56 New Member

I've just fitted a new toilet. All fixed in place but there's a small leak from where the waste connects to the back if the toilet. Connector us brand new and almost a straight fit (maybe 10 degrees to the right and ten degrees down to meet soil pipe).

I have noticed the glaze on the toilet where the connector fits (is it called a spigot?) only covers the first inch or so. After that it's bare porcelain and a tiny bit rough / uneven. So wondering if the rubber can't seal to it properly.

Everything is fixed in so don't want to take toilet out unless vital.

I know it's not ideal, but would painting the porcelain with gloss allow the rubber to seal (letting it dry first) or using plumbers mate or denso?

Thanks

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Sound like you need an offset multi quick if its a few degrees out of true then it will leak. Denso on a WC pan would not be the greatest of looks neither would plumbers mate. Never heard of anyone painting porcelain except those people at Royal Dalton and Wedgewood so probably not an option.
    So the big clue is the almost straight, replace your existing multiquick for an ofset one

FatHands likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As DDG and Kiab said. Don't fudge it. It's only 10 mins to get the toilet back out and you'll sleep easier at night :)

You don't really want to force/have any pan connectors at an angle. Toilets should be firmly fixed to floor but they can and do loosen over time risking loosening the seal.

I fitted a toilet a while back and had a weep on the pan connector. The new offset connector had a faulty seal which I hadn't noticed when fitting. Worth checking.

5. IanP56

IanP56 New Member

Thanks very much. I've managed to move the soil pipe a bit and have now got the pan connector completely straight. It's also pushed all the way on. Toilet is firmly fixed down so no movedment.

I'll give it a dozen flushes and a few hours to see if it still leaks.

PS the seal looks fault free

PPS I actually live about 4 miles from where Wedgewood were so maybe that's where I got my porcelain painting ideas from :)

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

[QUOTE="PPS I actually live about 4 miles from where Wedgewood were so maybe that's where I got my porcelain painting ideas from :)[/QUOTE]
    Would love to a nice willow patern painted on the back end of your crapper:)

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I've never seen a toilet where the glaze has not gone all the way back to the exit!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

Since the the rise of bath store and Victoria plumb I've seen a big increase in poorly casted toilets (and almost everything they sell as it happens) I've seen oval waste spigots and oval holes where the flush cone goes (on hideaway type toilets)...leaked every time...I got the customer to return one she got from bath store 3times before we got one that was actually round

9. IanP56

IanP56 New Member

update:-
    I've now tried two different pan connectors of different brands to see if different rubber seals would work. Again all perfectly aligned, square and secure and it still leaks so I'm now thinking it must be the rough / bobbly bits of porcelain on the underside of the spigot.

The toilet is indeed from Victoria plumb and I've asked for a replacement. I shall not be using them again.

Hopefully they will give me a decent replacement without hassle.

I've had a plumber mate look at it and he agrees. Only other thing he says to try is a pan connector with a jubilee clip and silicon as a bit of a bodge.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

We had a toilet once that had a 'drip-line' all the way from front to back at the bottom. Must have been 5 or 6mm dropped over 10mm width. Nightmare to seal, and once sealed, any small movement(I don't mean bowels) started it leaking again.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Plumberbish

All of my experiences with bath store n vic plumb have been bad...it seems they have good quality makes of sanitary ware but they all have imperfections! They sent one of my customers a wall hung basin witha chunk out of the back where the fixing should go-and they had the cheek to try to hide the problem with white silicone! I will say tho that both of their customer service teams were pretty good, vic plumb sent me 3basin units wih minor imperfections before a 4th acceptable one-and said I could keep the other 3

12. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I remember once when I installed a toilet, which I don't do normally, that I had a right pig sealing it, there was a 'cast' seam ridge on the underside of the outlet pipe, I recall that I used an angle grinder to smooth it off enough to get a seal on the rubber, at the time I didn't know any different, just thought it was one of those things tbh, posts like these make you wonder how many people think it's the norm to have to 'adjust' things.
    Ps, it was a right pig trying to grind it, I remember now.

13. Plumberbish

Yep! I Don't normally have the time to mess around waiting for deliveries and returns so that tends to be the answer- just make the bloody thing work...it's not right! Everyone wants it cheap cheap cheap but when you've spent an hour ***king about with something that should be perfect already it becomes a joke...

CGN likes this.