Tongue grove floorboards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Bradley402, Jul 13, 2014.

?

Tongue grooved floorboards

Poll closed Jul 20, 2014.
  1. Carpentry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Flooring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bradley402

Bradley402 New Member

Hello I am looking for a some advice.
    I have currently had an extension built to the rear of the house.The extension is a concrete floor that has been levelled to the existing floor joists...Can I lay tongue and grooved floor boards across the joists onto the concrete as a floating floor just on some 2mm underlay,not fixing the floor boards to the concrete.
    On fixing together with glue.

2. In theory yes, but in practice you'll likely find it springy and moves a lot.

As I do.

Having done just this in an upstairs room, and the downstairs hallway. The hallway is fine being narrow - boards held down around perimeter with skirting boards, and any movement is contained and doesn't become an issue. Upstairs is a large room 20-odd feet x 12, and the floor does creak - more like 'crack' - now and then and springiness is kept in check by the weight of a wrought-iron bed...

The problem is, T&G is solid timber and comes with all its drawbacks, expanding and contracting a very sizeable amount over the seasons. If you are going to try this, then make sure the T&Gs are well glued together, and that the whole floor is very free to move.

You'd obviously be better off with proper 'engineered' flooring.

FatHands likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's a shame Audi-Evo doesn't post any more, he knew what he was talking about.

4. Bradley402

Bradley402 New Member

Thanks guys,
    On the joist section i was going to have a kitchen and on the concrete floor a front room (tv sofa etc) would that be suitable to hold the flooring down or would the movement in the floor disrupt the kitching units?

5. Yep, missing audi-evo :(.

Bradley, I think it'll generally be considered a no-no for the reasons you, yourself, suspect - potential springiness and lots of expansion movement. How have softwood T&G floors been laid for centuries? Yep - no glue and lots of nails. How do chancers like me fit them? Glue and no nails. Do you follow a chancer or centuries of tried & tested?

Will you 'get away' with it? Fair chance - but no-one on here can rightly say "you'll be fine"...

New extension? New kitchen? I bet you're even splashing out on a new sofa...? So, go for a floor designed for the job. Hmmm - a mid/light oak...

6. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I'll second that DA re audi-evo. Always gave good advice. :(