TOP NEWEL POST CUT OUT

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by HENRYFONDA, Jan 14, 2015.

1. HENRYFONDA

HENRYFONDA New Member

I am near the end of completing a loft conversion myself. I am not a pro but pretty clued up as have done a few self builds. Not all the work by myself.
    Basically my problem is: The stairs were measured by the stair company and have been delivered.
    The staircase is a double winder. One at top and one at bottom.
    I put the trimmers exactly to the measurement on their drawing.
    Problem is the newel post at the top sits level with the front of the trimmer. If I notch it out to fit over the trimmer I would have to move the stairs away from the wall. Also, the final riser sits just a few mm back within the newel post, so I could only notch out a few mm if anything.

Hopefully all of the above makes sense.
    Do you think they have measure wrong or can the newel be screwed and fixed without notching a bit out. Doesn't sound like it would be stable enough this way??
    Any advice appreciated.
    p.s. the stair company got the length measurement wrong and had to send me two new extra thick end stringers to make up the gap.

2. Hi 'Henry'.

I dunno, but hopefully someone on here will.

Perhaps more info is needed (ie - your description doesn't make enough sense to me, but then I'm not a joiner.)

Any chance of photos or a sketch or summat.

Bottom line, tho' - if it can't be fitted without too much butchering, and the fault was the supplier's, then you know what needs to be done...

3. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Sorry but having a little difficulty with your description of the problems. A few pics may help.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes pics please, they speak a thousand words.

5. HENRYFONDA

HENRYFONDA New Member

newel.jpg basically, this is how you notch out and attach a newel to a trimmer normally. My newel comes level with the front of the trimmer and I don't really want to pack out on the wall side as will look a bit rough after. Can I attach a piece of wood to the front of the trimmer so the newel reaches it. Many thanks.

6. I would move trimmer or like you say screw another bit to it

7. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Would not have figured that out from the original description.

Anyway, adding to the trimmer makes the most practical sense here. Otherwise its a new set of stairs and holding up progress on the job.

8. HENRYFONDA

HENRYFONDA New Member

but what about the final riser only sitting back a few mm. That means I can only notch out a few mm. Is that enough or do I need to redo the cut out for the top step nosing and move the riser in? Then I would have to do the same on the stringer too??

9. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Again I am not sure what you mean. But its sounds as if you are having to remake part of the stairs to achieve either a decent fit or something that 'looks right'.

You can probably work round the stair section to fit as best it can but you should not adjust the stair rise and tread spacings. Shifting the position of the nosing can cause trips and is a significantly incorrect thing to do.

In which case I'd say the best thing to do is get the stair company to remake the section.

10. How many mm is a few can you still fix it though the back of the trimmer.You could use some large fixings though the back in the newel post

11. HENRYFONDA

HENRYFONDA New Member

It's ok. Sorted. It just didn't look right and couldn't move top riser as that would make top step different size to all others. Called Stair company. Explained that last riser was right at edge of newel and had no space to notch out behind it. They said designer had messed up and are sending me a double newel so half sits on trimmer. They don't make it easy. Fitting a double winder is hard enough already, especially as I am fitting above an existing flight. All I needed was them to mess up and throw me too. Oh well. All's good now. New newel will be with me Saturday so I can still fit stairs this weekend. Glad they measured it though as I'm sure they would have blamed me otherwise. Thanks all for your input.

12. Cool nice when its not your fault glad you're sorted

13. Sunto64

Sunto64 Member

I think I may of added somthing to the front of the trimmer screwed and glued then notched the newel post as your picture. Artistic licence would of helped me get a pleasing finish